Looking for guidance. HDS Gen 2

I'm no expert when it comes to electronics so please bear with me! I have an opportunity to purchase a used HDS gen 2 unit, but the head unit only. To have down and side imaging, will I need to purchase 2 transducers...an lss2 transducer as well as the small regular skimmer type? Also, what about a structure scan module?? Thanks for your help :)

Quote Originally Posted by greenfshrmn View Post
    To have down and side imaging, will I need to purchase 2 transducers...an lss2 transducer as well as the small regular skimmer type?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfshrmn View Post
    Also, what about a structure scan module?
    You didn't advise if this is a non-touch or touch unit. Non-touch will require the LSS module, while the touch has it's function built into the unit.

His question is does he need two transducers to get side and down imaging and the answer to that is no. But he does need a second transducer if he wants traditions 2d sonar.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the fast answers!

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    His question is does he need two transducers to get side and down imaging and the answer to that is no.
    I'm not arguing that but I've watched quite a difference of opinions previously on here and it seemed the "well-informed" members claim you won't get accurate if even get - a depth reading if you don't have the 2d ducer. I've never tried it, personally. I did not add a disclaimer in that regard.

If it is a touch I think he can run a total scan transducer to take of of both functions though using a 2d and a LssII would provide be better
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    If it is a touch I think he can run a total scan transducer to take of of both functions though using a 2d and a LssII would provide be better

Totalscan only works on gen3 & newer, hard to keep up with all the changes.

8. Member

9. Member
    Check out YouTube. A lot of videos on that stuff. If you power it up you can go through the settings and see what transducer was selected.