Banned

Dobyns upgrade program-non broken rod

Anyone ever done it before? Was it worth it? I have a fury I dont mind getting rid of and getting an upgraded rod to use for worming

Wondering wether I should do it or just sell the rod locally on the cheap? Im thinking since the fury is a low end rod....and shipping is gonna be $20-30 at my cost, its prolly not gonna be worth it. Let me know if anyones done it...or if its one of those things thats just offered and no one really does lol

2. Member
    Didn’t know Dobyn’s did a trade up program, I have a basically new 765Flip I was just never that fond of, might have to check into this.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Didn’t know Dobyn’s did a trade up program, I have a basically new 765Flip I was just never that fond of, might have to check into this.
    So I called and they wouldnt give me a number understandably. guy said he had to have it in his shop to give a number. I asked him....just to get an answer..."what do you think would be worst case scenario." Told me $30 credit for my colt with broken guides, and $40 for the fury....which I told him was in good shap (it is, hardly used it). It kinda seemed like one of those "shut up already" answers since he kept saying I have to send in when I tried getting answers.

If they give you that low, which is about 33% of retail (website says 60-80% of retail value) and then factoring in the shipping i have to pay....its not worth it at all. So is the guy that told me that 33% range number right...or do they give you 60-80% like the site says on nonbroken rods? My fury is in really good shape, and the one I was kinda banking on...but yea for $40 I can sell it locally for a tiny bit more more and not pay to ship. So hoping someone has had an actual experience using it.

Id do it for 60% of value just to not have to hassle....but 33% is a lot less than 60%. so wondering what its really like.

4. Member
    I have been wondering this also. I have a champion xp 734, and champion extreme 745 I was thinking of sending in. I was told they couldnt give me an exact value without looking at it, makes sense, but said they generally give the higher percentage if they’re in good condition, which both my rods are. I was going to send them in this week but now will wait to see if people have experience with this.

5. Banned
    Wonder what places do with used rods?

6. Member
    Colt and fury are not worth it since they are cheap from the get go.
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

7. Member
    Dobyns resells them on their website, if you look under “store” section you can buy rods that have been traded in or returned for whatever reason.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayj View Post
    I have been wondering this also. I have a champion xp 734, and champion extreme 745 I was thinking of sending in. I was told they couldnt give me an exact value without looking at it, makes sense, but said they generally give the higher percentage if they’re in good condition, which both my rods are. I was going to send them in this week but now will wait to see if people have experience with this.
    Might be worth it with your rods! DO IT!!!! lol be the BBC test pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by Legend 2013 View Post
    Colt and fury are not worth it since they are cheap from the get go.
    thats what I got to thinking! I still think even with the higher end rods youll get more money selling locally on craigslist or something like that. I wouldnt mind seeing someone give it a try tho....DO IT JAYJ! LOL

I actually picked Dobyns because I liked their warranty and upgrade program. I know the fury is on the cheaper end...but 1/3 of the retail value is tough to accept, especially since the rods in great shape and hardly used because i dont flip much. Ive been vernturing out to other makers but was planning to buy a champion...ill prolly go with a Phenix instead since they got a good warranty too. Guy was kinda....well he wasnt very nice on the phone discussing this. I know they cant say cuz they need to inspect the rod....but he just refused to answer and when he finally did wasnt very cool about it! im prolly just being sensitive lol

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Wonder what places do with used rods?
    Send them to the same place that got all the “Rams super bowl champion” t shirts last year

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Send them to the same place that got all the “Rams super bowl champion” t shirts last year
    africa?

11. Member
    In my opinion any trade-in program is not worth it.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

12. Member
    My lord trade ins worth 400 used ? Were they 800 prior?