Duracell failed me

My Suzuki 4 stroke got spastic, sometimes the starter would work, sometimes it would crank slow, sometimes chatter the solenoid, and generally gave every indication of a bad starter. I put on a new one. Did the same damn thing. My battery read over 12.5 volts so I was sure it was good, I had a size 31 Duracell AGM. I shook down the wiring could find no opens, took my battery back to Sam's club where I bought it. I picked a new Duracell 31AGM off the shelf and took it to the lady that runs the battery/tire section.
    I asked her if she had a battery tester, she went into the back and brought it out. She hooked it to my old battery, it failed, it only delivered 150CA. I asked her if she could tell me the age of my battery, it had a code sticker on it which she decoded and found out it was made in June 2011. Happy birthday battery, you're 8 years old. Guess I had it a lot longer than I thought, I was one of the first ones here on this forum that used one.

If you put a locking nut on the studs make sure you have the right threads in the nut or you will be in a world of hurt. New nuts come with the battery, they aren't self locking, but they fit.

Just re-checked the studs they are S A E not metric. Somehow I had 2 metric lock nuts in my SS supplies
    Last edited by billnorman1; 10-21-2019 at 10:28 AM.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Just had 1 17 months old test at 80 CA first one that failed me.... free replacement no questions.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post

Anyhow, here is a warning: FROM THE LOOKS OF THINGS THIS BATTERY NOW USES METRIC STUDS!!! If you put a locking nut on the studs make sure you have the right threads in the nut or you will be in a world of hurt. New nuts come with the battery, they aren't self locking, but they fit.
    What is the date stamp on your new battery?

I got 2 of those batteries at the beginning of August and the threads are not metric. Sounds like they just changed that.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

4. Member
    I would love to get 8 years out of my Duracell 31 AGMs. 1 year down, hopefully 7 more to go :)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post
    I would love to get 8 years out of my Duracell 31 AGMs. 1 year down, hopefully 7 more to go :)
    Well that's a good hope, but it cost me dearly to let mine get to that condition. I bought a new starter and missed a tournament because I quit in the middle of it afraid I'd get towed in.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    What is the date stamp on your new battery?

I got 2 of those batteries at the beginning of August and the threads are not metric. Sounds like they just changed that.
    The studs are SAE. Somehow I had 2 self locking metric #8 nuts in my supplies. All is good to go as normal.

My Bad.

7. Member
    I might say, I set my old Duracell in the driveway. I was working there today and took a voltage reading with a digital Fluke meter. It reads 12.71 VDC. The tester at Sam's club tested it and said 150 CCA was all it had. Goes to show you, voltage readings are a good reference, but don't always tell you the whole story. The boat has started perfectly for 2 trips now with the new battery.