Prop suggestions 89 Sabre

A couple more weekends and I should have almost everything buttoned up on my 89 Sabre restoration. Since I might actually get to put her in the water yet this year I've got to start thinking about a prop. The motor is a 92 150 XR6 that's been freshly rebuilt so I'll have some breakin on it. The boat is going to be light as oil inject has been removed, my charger will be remote and I'm running lithiums for the TM (regular wet cell group 31 for the motor/accessories).

I previously had an 04 Sabre and a 23 Tempest was a good prop as was a 24 Trophy with a Boger blowout ring. The only prop I have right now is a 25 Hi5. I'm pretty sure the motor will be able to turn it but it's most likely not going to be the best prop for this boat.

Should I just start with a 23 Tempest and go from there? Testing and setup should be pretty easy since I've got a 6" Bobs on it. Just looking for some other suggestions, I should have access to plenty of props from guys in my club but I'm just trying to narrow it down. Thanks Mike

2. Member
    i would say start at 23 tempest or fury to start

3. Member
    I ran my 04 Sabre / XR6 150 with a 25 tempest in the cool weather and a 24 fury in the hotter months. Stayed above 65 and in cooler temperatures I could see 69 and some change.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Not the same boat but as close as it gets, I ran a 24 Trophy on my 96 Eyra to a strong 66 MPH. My buddy with same make model ran a 25 Tempest on his. Both where 150 XRI's and both where 70 mph rigs under the right conditions. I would start with the 23 and see how it goes but it sounds like you might be able to go bigger.

I also ran a 22 Lazer but it gave too much lift and was too loose. The Trophy was OAL best performer IMO but my buddy liked his speed. He has some video's showing crazy fast hole shot with his Tempest and he claimed it easily broke 70 but it was a hand full! They will be the only on water vids of a mid 90's Eyra on the web.
    Last edited by Finlander; 10-19-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

5. Member
    and i guess i should chime in and i know its not the exact same set up but i am running a 2019 sabre ftd with a 2019 150 pro xs and the 2 props i am currently running are a fury 24 and i just put a 26 pitch bravo 1 xs on the boat to try. so far one test run on the bravo and i am seeing 63mph and my motor is still to low and was with 2 people