Steering Cable Removal?

1986 184 with 175 Johnson mounted on transom, has dual rack steering. Anyone know if it is possible to remove the cable that goes through the tilt tube without unbolting the engine? Front cable moves smoothly, back one is stiff and needs to be cleaned out good. Thank you, have a great day all.

2. Banned
    Yes it should have enough flexibility to pull out without moving the motor but don't clean it replace it. Only bass boat I have dealt with that the motor had to move for cable replacement is Cajun.

If it's on a jackplate it should. If it's flat back on the transom good luck.

4. Member
    I know when I replaced them in the 1986 176 I had I didn't have to remove the motor and it was on a 6" jackplate and it wasn't hard. Now when me and dad replaced them on our 190 we already had the motor off cause we were adding an 8" jackplate, and it was super easy that way lol. Easiest way to do it is to tie a rope to the old cables so when you pull them out you can tie the rope to the new cables and it helps with getting them through the tube that runs down the side. And I wouldn't even try and lube the old ones, grease attracts dirt and it will only get worse. Just my 2 cents
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost