Green giant arborvitae?

My neighbor cut down a huge magnolia tree between our houses. Now our houses feel like they are top of each other. I was going to plant a few evergreens back on the fence line to give us some privacy. I'm not a tree person and know very little about them in general. We are looking for something that will grow tall and semi wide, but not have huge limbs that could be a problem with the house at some point. Someone recommended we use green giant arborvitae. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or know something that might be better? Thanks.

Neighbors house has a side garage and when you look out my bedroom window you see their cars. Wife doesn't like that.

Guy at the landscaping place says these are what you want. I get them 5 for $100 for 6 footers.

Planted some last year. They are advertised to grow about a foot a year. Mine are growing well and seem to be getting wider. It will be a while before they get to where they acually provide some blockage.

3. Member
    These will work for your needs. Leyland Cypress would be another possibility.

Green Giant Arborvitae are a great screening tree. They are easily kept trimmed as needed. Very little insect or disease problems associated with these trees.

stay away from Leyland Cypress as there is a blight which is untreatable that is making its way through them in certain areas. Here in SE Tennessee there are many that are dying out usually when they are planted too closely together.

Cryptomeria, yashino or Cyrptomeria, radican are two other very good evergreens that are fast growing.

Remember to plant them far enough apart to allow for growth and proper air and light needs.

A 15 gal tree about 5-6’ tall should run $100 thereabouts.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

5. Member
    Should work great. We have them all around the pool and they provide excellent privacy. They also look really good and we get lots of compliments on the landscaping.

6. Member
    My advice with planting any trees is make sure you space them wide enough. When small they look like they are too far apart. When mature, the branches close the holes. If too close, they can actually lose the lower branches since the sun is blocked from the tight tops. Plus they are less healthy and look worse.

7. Member
    Thanks everyone. I am getting 12-14' tall trees, that are 4-5' wide. How far do you all think I should plant them apart? 10'?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    Thanks everyone. I am getting 12-14' tall trees, that are 4-5' wide. How far do you all think I should plant them apart? 10'?
    Holy moly! What do those cost?

Just a thought: if you have enough space, you can plant them in a zigzag pattern to make a solid screen faster. Then as the trees mature and the branches begin to touch, take out every other tree and the remainder will be in a straight line

Make sure you have enough BT to keep the bagworms at bay.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

10. Member
    225$ great thought, unfortunately I don't have enough room to do that. Mine will have to go in a line

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Holy moly! What do those cost?

Just a thought: if you have enough space, you can plant them in a zigzag pattern to make a solid screen faster. Then as the trees mature and the branches begin to touch, take out every other tree and the remainder will be in a straight line

11. Member
    Sorry for my ignorance, but what is BT?

Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    Make sure you have enough BT to keep the bagworms at bay.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    My neighbor cut down a huge magnolia tree between our houses. Now our houses feel like they are top of each other. I was going to plant a few evergreens back on the fence line to give us some privacy. I'm not a tree person and know very little about them in general. We are looking for something that will grow tall and semi wide, but not have huge limbs that could be a problem with the house at some point. Someone recommended we use green giant arborvitae. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or know something that might be better? Thanks.
    Deer love them.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

13. Member
    He's talking about organic pesticide (bacteria)

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Deer love them.
    That's a big problem here in the northeast with the adaption of deer to urban/suburban areas to the point that I wouldn't recommend anyone plant them for a hedge. But cedars are usually a winter food when other sources are covered or used up. Is that the case in your area?

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is a bacteria that produces proteins which are toxic to insects.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight