Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ike goes to Washington

A GREAT day in Washington DC lobbying for sport anglers! Hot topics of the day were aquatic invasive species funding (aka the Asian Carp problem), the Save Our Seas Act 2.0 (aka stopping source point trash and plastic in stormwater runoff), and the Forage Fish Conservation Act (aka stopping big business from over harvesting forage fish for fish oil). Thanks to Yamaha Outboards for including me in this important day! #goingike

2. Member
    I wonder if anything was said about the chemical over spraying of our lakes?

3. Member
    Never been an Ike fan but I will give him props for looking all professional and addressing these important issues.

4. Member
    He cleans up nice! Good job Ike and Yamaha.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Ike seems do a bunch outside of the tournament fishing world to help the fisheries and the sport of fishing in general.

6. Member
    I hope someone there actually hears what he has to say.
    Go Gators!

7. Member
    Ike is a great speaker , he will serve well.

Good for him

Now do your part .... Stop with the ridiculous quest for a golf course lawn and spraying weed killer on every sprout that pops out of a pavement crack. Chemical runoff is doing some bad stuff to our waters. Yeah, agriculture and industry are a major part of it, but so is residential lawn care. Go on, keep spraying and applying that shit and then come on here and bitch about the lack of natural grass in your favorite lake or the algae blooms that take over.

Go ahead and flame me, call me a tree hugger, whatever. If you don’t think our waters are in bad shape and getting worse, your either blind, ignorant or both.
    Ranting incoherently

Good for Ike, but can he be taken seriously after watching him spaz out like he does? Doesn’t lend much credibility to the sport. Your actions have consequences.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Good for him

Now do your part .... Stop with the ridiculous quest for a golf course lawn and spraying weed killer on every sprout that pops out of a pavement crack. Chemical runoff is doing some bad stuff to our waters. Yeah, agriculture and industry are a major part of it, but so is residential lawn care. Go on, keep spraying and applying that shit and then come on here and bitch about the lack of natural grass in your favorite lake or the algae blooms that take over.

Go ahead and flame me, call me a tree hugger, whatever. If you don’t think our waters are in bad shape and getting worse, your either blind, ignorant or both.
    If you think our waters are getting worse, you are not a child of the 60's like many of us.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    If you think our waters are getting worse, you are not a child of the 60's like many of us.
    Agree. The rivers around here are way better than when I was young. Still could use some work but no where near as bad as they once was.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Good for him! Now if the people in power would do their jobs instead of just talking constantly we could work toward a solution!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    Good for Ike, but can he be taken seriously after watching him spaz out like he does? Doesn’t lend much credibility to the sport. Your actions have consequences.
    Being professional fishing is so low on the radar as compared to other sports I doubt anyone hes presenting to knows who he is until he tells them.

Born in 64, I guess I’m technically a child of the 60’s but didn’t qualify for the whole experience

I do however remember the orange waters and rivers on fire of that era. That eventually led to the establishment of the EPA, which I support in principle but sadly have watched it turned into a bludgeon used to further political agendas rather than actually keeping our resources from going to shit.

Sorry, but while I agree we’re not where we were 50 years ago, we’re creeping back toward it and we all have a hand in it in some way. Better to be proactive than reactive.
    Ranting incoherently

In 1968 I lived at Ft. Belvior, the Potomac was litterally my back yard, those pilings bettween Dogue and Gunston was the O club Annex. As kids we would say if you touched the water, your skin would peel. We would go to AP Hill, Burke Lake. But never fished behind the house. It was too poluted.

Look at it now preety good fishing.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Being professional fishing is so low on the radar as compared to other sports I doubt anyone hes presenting to knows who he is until he tells them.
    Exactly!

17. Member
    I think the rivers are in better shape now then they was back then. But I think our lakes for the most part are in worst shape. JMO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Good for him

I am 60 years old and the rivers and lakes are in the best shape that I can remember in my lifetime. Strictly my opinion but I think we have made huge strides in the right direction.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    You mean them southern Congressmen don't fish?

20. Member
    It is interesting that the very regulations that make our lakes and rivers better today than they were 40 years ago are being repealed now. I think the big corporations have a bigger voice in Washington than fishermen. Of course corporations are people too at least according to SCOTUS.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast