Thinking about trying a Solix, have questions

Currently running Live units but am curious about the 360. If I purchase a single Solix, what can be connected directly to it? If I have an Ultrex with Link does that also connect directly to the Solix? Is there benefit in having the MDI in the Ultrex along with the 360? Would I need a network box to connect Link, 360, and MDI to one or two Solix units? Thanks for your help!

Either 360 model will connect directly to a display.
    The current 360 is an Ethernet connection, the upcoming MEGA 360 is a transducer port connection.

iPilot LINK is an Ethernet connection.

A display has a single Ethernet connection, if you want more than one device connected to any Humminbird unit, you need the AS ETH 5PXG Ethernet Switch. Then each device connects to the Switch via Ethernet cable. The Switch has 5 ports and can be daisy chained with multiple Switches to have more than 5 connections.

If you want a depth readout on the 360 view, you need a 2D transducer source, that can be a Minnkota built-in transducer or any other transducer.

For a single SOLIX with MEGA 360 you can connect the LINK and MEGA 360 to the display without any extra parts.
    The same devices with an added transducer would need a Y cable to connect the MEGA 360 and transducer to the display.

A single SOLIX and current 360 with iPilot LINK would need the Ethernet Switch. Then a transducer can be connected to the transducer port.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thank you Wayne. That’s a bunch of info. What are your thoughts on the benefit of having a MSI Ultrex if you are going to put a Mega 360 on it anyway? Should I opt for the Cheaper US Ultrex unit instead?

Quote Originally Posted by bpetrie View Post
    Thank you Wayne. That’s a bunch of info. What are your thoughts on the benefit of having a MSI Ultrex if you are going to put a Mega 360 on it anyway? Should I opt for the Cheaper US Ultrex unit instead?
    The SOLIX can do HW CHIRP and that is what the MSI and MDI transducers do for 2D sonar.

The MSI version would not have any benefit since the MEGA 360 is connected to the unit SI circuits. The MDI would be a better choice and get SI from the MEGA 360.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    The MSI version would not have any benefit since the MEGA 360 is connected to the unit SI circuits. The MDI would be a better choice and get SI from the MEGA 360.

ok, so a Ultrex with MDI built in and a Mega 360 using a Y cable to connect the two transducers to the unit and the link via Ethernet plugged directly in?

Quote Originally Posted by bpetrie View Post

ok, so a Ultrex with MDI built in and a Mega 360 using a Y cable to connect the two transducers to the unit and the link via Ethernet plugged directly in?
    Yep as stated in paragraph 5 in post #2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Thank you Wayne!

8. Member
    Reading about all the Bird configurations makes my eyes glaze over! It's so complicated!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Last edited by Crabnbass; 10-21-2019 at 07:40 AM.