Which charger should I get?

I’m looking for a 3 bank charger. In the past I’ve always used chargers with 10 amps per bank. I’m finding a bunch with 5 or 6 amps per bank. I’m wondering if the 5 or 6 amp per bank would generally be able to charge batteries up over night? What do you think?

2. Member
    I've been using a Dual Pro Model RS3 for the last nine years. 18amp output, three 6 amp banks. I used it for the first eight years on three gp 31 batteries, never failed to charge them overnight. This past year I switched to three LithiumHub Ionic batteries, still does the job. Just my experience with this one 6amp per bank charger.

IMG_1719.JPG
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Member
    I use a MK 315, going on 7 years with no problems. Batteries are charged 2-4 hours !

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    I've been using a Dual Pro Model RS3 for the last nine years. 18amp output, three 6 amp banks. I used it for the first eight years on three gp 31 batteries, never failed to charge them overnight. This past year I switched to three LithiumHub Ionic batteries, still does the job. Just my experience with this one 6amp per bank charger.

IMG_1719.JPG

I have the same model thats also 8-9 yrs old and still works. First i had lead acid then changed to all AGM's and now have Lithium batteris and has never missed a beat.

5. Member
    Did you check with Dual Pro about charging Lithium batteries? Or the battery supplier? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    I had a Dual Pro in my last boat that I believe was 15amps/bank. Currently running a MinnKota 345PC charging 3 AGM Northstar 31 batteries. Very happy with it. 15amps per bank, if I fish hard in the wind all day they are charged in probably 6hrs.

To me the higher amps per bank are worth the money. They recover the batteries quickly and then have more time for the low/slow finish charge which helps with battery life.
    Last edited by XingEyeballs; 10-20-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Adding information
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Did you check with Dual Pro about charging Lithium batteries? Or the battery supplier? Bob
    I did call Dual Pro and discussed charging Lithium with the "Model RS3". The Tech said no problem with the RS3 charging Lithium batteries. Their other models would need to be programed for Lithium.

I have the Bluetooth app for my batteries. I keep an eye on the charging process and unplug when the batteries are at 100%.

As a side note. I do not charge my batteries as soon as I get off the water, as was/is the norm with conventional batteries. I wait until a day or so before my next outing before I recharge if needed. If my trolling batteries are at 65-75%, I don't charge them. The only time I recharge the Lithiums to 100% is if I am fishing a tournament.
    Ed R.

8. Member
    Good deal Ed. It is the float voltage on some chargers that create a potential overcharge situation. So your disconnect at 100% will prevent that. I could not locate that float voltage anywhere. Do you know what it is on that charger? Bob

9. Member
    This is a quote from Dual Pro.

"The charger is designed to bring a battery up approximately 14.9 volts and then go to a float/maintenance mode at 13.3 volts."

The 14.9 volts gave me a little pause, but it has not been a problem. The max voltage I have seen from my Lowrance Graph has been to fluctuate between 14.4 and 14.6 volts when charging, but that is at the graph not the battery.
    Last edited by Ed R; 10-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    Ed R.

10. Member
    Float should not be a problem.(not needed but under the max volts) While the 14.9 is slightly high for recommended charging it is still under the BMS cutoff for for most LiFePO4 batts. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I called dual pro and spoke with a technician and asked the question and about reprogramming the unit with a different algorithm.
    He said that model is not programmable and they sell alot of them to companies that use lithium in there equipment. Its been in use for almost 2 years with Lithiums. I now have the 45amp pro series since i got the $250 deal from Academy sale.

12. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    This is a quote from Dual Pro.

"The charger is designed to bring a battery up approximately 14.9 volts and then go to a float/maintenance mode at 13.3 volts."

The 14.9 volts gave me a little pause, but it has not been a problem. The max voltage I have seen from my Lowrance Graph has been to fluctuate between 14.4 and 14.6 volts when charging, but that is at the graph not the battery.
    However do note the basic DeltaVolt profile of the Dual Pros further exposes the charging battery just before going into its timed 30day environmental float (voltage off/monitor) stage.. It may be temp comped providing a very brief high voltage stage capable of near 16 volts.

This high voltage stage is not intended to bring the battery voltage permanently up. but helps to briefly expose/clean the lead plate surfaces and stir ( equalize) any stratified electrolyte (if in flooded lead acid). It is not long enough duration to overcharge/damage an AGM's chemistry but well can be trouble for today's Lithium Ion batteries and their safety voltage protecting BMMs. You can detect with a peak reading voltmeter and measure its amplitude.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 10-21-2019 at 11:49 AM.

This would depend on the AH rating, the battery type and how much it has been discharged, A 100 amp hour battery, at 20% state of charge would require far more than 24 hours to achieve a 100% state of charge from a 6 amp charger. I would highly recommend at least a 10 amp per bank charger, to have confidence in overnight recharging. 6 amp charger will work quite well for those that do not draw down their batteries to very low levels
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    However do note the basic DeltaVolt profile of the Dual Pros further exposes the charging battery just before going into its timed 30day environmental float (voltage off/monitor) stage.. It may be temp comped providing a very brief high voltage stage capable of near 16 volts.

This high voltage stage is not intended to bring the battery voltage permanently up. but helps to briefly expose/clean the lead plate surfaces and stir ( equalize) any stratified electrolyte (if in flooded lead acid). It is not long enough duration to overcharge/damage an AGM's chemistry but well can be trouble for today's Lithium Ion batteries and their safety voltage protecting BMMs. You can detect with a peak reading voltmeter and measure its amplitude.
    What are "safety voltage protecting BMMs"?

15. Member
    I think BMS(battery management system) It is integrated in the battery to prevent things that would damage the Lithium cells. Bob

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Yes, the battery management module or BMM controlling part of the BMS.