5 th battery issue.

I have had issues running new chart plotters and keeping a hot cranking battery. A year ago I added the 5 th battery and use it to power an HB Solix 10 and a Low HDS gen 3 12. It has 109 rc. It has been doing a great job until last trip. Supply power went down and I had to shut one unit off. I took it out today and had the same issue. The supply to the Low dropped to 10.8 and it shut down. I just checked the battery and it showed 12.84 volts.

Do you think it is the battery or the charger?

I leave in 2 days for a fishing vacation.

2. Member
    It could be a battery going bad. What brand battery. If it's an interstate, that's about normal. They don't last long. But any brand could be going bad.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Sounds like it could be a bad connection.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    It could be a battery going bad. What brand battery. If it's an interstate, that's about normal. They don't last long. But any brand could be going bad.
    It is an interstate. I pulled it out and put it on a different charger. I’ll have it load tested tomorrow.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Is the 5th battery a deep cycle or a regular cranking battery? If it's a cranking battery, it's probably getting weaker because of repeated discharges from your sonars.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    It is an interstate. I pulled it out and put it on a different charger. I’ll have it load tested tomorrow.
    I went 50 amp Lithium for my 5th battery. You might consider the same. Although nearly $500, it will be cheaper over the life span.

7. Member
    It says dual purpose battery.

8. Member
    I charged it over night and had it load tested. The tester said it was on the last 1/4 of its life. It is one day less than a year since I bought it.

9. Member
    I took it to the Interstate distributor. They hooked it up to 4 different devices, then put a new one on a cart and rolled it out to my truck. They apologized for my trouble and sent me on my way.