Possible 1987 320V purchase

I’m going to look at a 1987 320 V boat that I found for sale. This will be a second Ranger boat that I will keep at my second home in Florida. From the pics the boat looks really good. Present owner basically did a restoration and now is ready to sell. I’m pretty good at checking out electrical, trailer, engine , steering and so on. What I don’t know how to look for is a weak transom or hull. These Older Rangers had wood in them and that can send up a possible red flag.
    Any suggestions on how to check transom and hull for weakness? Also, is the floor and decks in these older Rangers made out of wood? If so that is something I will need to check. Thanks

2. Member
    They did have some wood,the decks for sure,not sure about the transom. They changed to fiberglass transom about that time. You can tap the transom with a rubber mallet to check for rot. It should have a solid thud everywhere, not a hollow sound. You can also check for transom water intrusion with an ohm meter. Put each lead on the eyebolts and engine mounting bolts,there should not be a reading between any of them.

Check the transom. I had a 85 350v and it was a fun boat and it fished well. I built a deck extension for it. Wood throughout the 85

4. Member
    Grab that skeg and giver a jolt up/down, shouldn't be any transom flex. With owner's permission of course !

~Tony

I actually looked at this boat last weekend and based on what I learned here the transom is solid. I got in boat and walked all over it and floor & decks were solid. The guy that is selling this boat is an older guy like me that has a new Z118 sitting in his garage. He told me that he was having some health issues and needed a project to get his mind off those problems. He picked up the 87 320V and basically did a full restoration. The boat and engine look 90% brand new. I would fill up this page listing all the new items he put into this boat and trailer. Im definitely buying it and taking it to Florida to it’s new home. My present Ranger will stay in PA and have the winter to rest. I also learned on BBC that Ranger started using solid fiberglass in their transoms in late 1987. This boat is a 1987 and possibly was built late in the year to have solid fiberglass rather than wood. Serial number may be able to tell me.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I’m going to look at a 1987 320 V boat that I found for sale. This will be a second Ranger boat that I will keep at my second home in Florida. From the pics the boat looks really good. Present owner basically did a restoration and now is ready to sell. I’m pretty good at checking out electrical, trailer, engine , steering and so on. What I don’t know how to look for is a weak transom or hull. These Older Rangers had wood in them and that can send up a possible red flag.
    Any suggestions on how to check transom and hull for weakness? Also, is the floor and decks in these older Rangers made out of wood? If so that is something I will need to check. Thanks
    1987 had all wood transom/floors/deck.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Why not call Ranger, give them your serial number and they probably can answer your question.