spool tension knob setting...what's correct?

It used to be that I always heard that when you were adjusting your baitcaster, you would loosen the spool tension knob until the bait you were throwing would slowly fall to the ground and not create an overrun. Lately, I've heard more people saying that you tighten the spool tension knob just enough so there is no sideways play in the spool itself. Doing it the first way, you could possibly need to adjust the spool tension knob regularly if you are throwing different weights. Doing it the second way wouldn't take bait weight into consideration and it would basically be set the same all the time. Is there a correct way and an incorrect way, or is this simply personal preference? I know Daiwa now has reels with their zero adjuster spool tension knob, which makes me wonder if setting it and forgetting it is the best way to go. Just looking to see if there is a consensus on this, and if so what it is.

2. Banned
    Loosen the knob till the spool moves side to side, then tighten it down just until that side to side play goes away. The rest is brakes and thumb control/.

3. Member
    The first method you speak of is great for learning to use baitcasters, after your comfortable I recommend loose to the point there’s just side to side spool play and then tighten slightly. As said, do the rest with the brake and thumb.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

4. Banned
    It all depends on your casting ability. I like mine really loose. I want the maximum cast possible. Of course I would call myself a really good Caster and seldom backlash.. My dad on the other hand is 73 years old and a terrible caster. He just doesn’t have the feeling In his hands anymore. We have to keep his tension knob quite a bit tighter to avoid spending all day digging out backlashes.

So again just depends on your ability. I would say you want it as loose as you can, but still keep it from backlashing. I adjust mine with each bait of a different weight too.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    It all depends on your casting ability. I like mine really loose. I want the maximum cast possible. Of course I would call myself a really good Caster and seldom backlash.. My dad on the other hand is 73 years old and a terrible caster. He just doesn’t have the feeling In his hands anymore. We have to keep his tension knob quite a bit tighter to avoid spending all day digging out backlashes.

So again just depends on your ability. I would say you want it as loose as you can, but still keep it from backlashing. I adjust mine with each bait of a different weight too.
    Agree, I know that some prefer to set it and leave it alone, but I tweak mine throughout the day maybe 2 or 3 times.

6. Member
    I keep the tension a bit tighter with Fluorocarbon than I do with mono.

The wind will have some say so on that setting as well.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Good info...I appreciate the feedback and it makes perfect sense. I would consider myself a pretty good caster and have been using baitcasters for 20+ years now. I guess I was asking the question because I wasn't sure if something had changed with regards to the way newer reels are made or are supposed to be adjusted. It started with my Curado DC reels I bought. They specifically say to tighten the spool tension knob until there is no side to side movement with the spool. I figured maybe that was just something different with the DC reels but then I saw Daiwa with their zero adjuster feature and thought maybe something was different with the new reels where they don't want you doing much adjusting with the spool tension. I'm more of a set it and forget it with my baitcasters anyway, although I will occasionally adjust it if I feel I'm either not getting the distance I should or I'm dealing with wind.

9. Member
    Also depends on the reel too. For me, any reel with centrifugal break systems, like an older curado, I can loosen the tension knob almost all the way and barely have a backlash. Lews reels are about half way between completely loose and tight where the bait drops but doesn’t overrun. The Lews I have, have the combined centrifuge and magnetic breaks. Then there’s my Revo Sx that just has magnetic breaks. At first I tuned it just like the Lews but literally every other cast I’d be picking out a backlash to where I thought about selling it. Then I adjusted it tight to where there’s no overrun when the bait drops and it’s outcasting every other reel in my lineup. I used to turn my nose up at completely magnetic brakes but now I’m considering going to all Abu reels once I figured out how to adjust it.

every reel is unique, just have to find what works for you.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Before I put a reel in use I adjust the tension knob where there is just a tiny bit of back and forth movement in the spool. Just enough that I can feel it. Then if it has centrifugal brakes I turn on half, and adjust the numbered setting just shy of middle.

Most of my rods are technique specific so I grab the lure that reel will be used for then head to the golf course pond and adjust til I’m happy!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV