Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What now for the FLW Costa Championship this month?

The FLW Costa Championship is coming to Lake Cumberland this month. It's always a 200 boat field.
    I believe it takes the top 40 from each of the 5 Costa divisions. One of the reasons people fish it is to qualify for the Forrest Wood Cup. Current FLW tour pros that qualified through their Costa division results try to do well in this tournament to make the cup and get the stress of qualifying over with before the tour year even begins. They know they're qualified for the Cup and can fish differently and not worry about points so much.

I just heard on BTL and BassFan.com that the 2020 FLW Cup is no longer happening. That's a shame for those that competed all year for the opportunity to do well in the championship. I would be interested in hearing any information anyone has on those angler's thoughts. I wonder if the participation in the Costa Series Championship at Cumberland will change. I was excited to spectate and keep track of the 3 day event because there WAS a lot on the line. I know there is still money available to be won. But this new news must be an awfully big blow to the folks qualified to fish this event starting October 31st.

I'm not at all trying to get another MLF/BASS bashing thread started. I'm just truly curious how the changes affects this upcoming Cumberland event.

2. Member
    Some qualifiers probably won't show up, but they will just call down the list in each division to get a full field.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post

I'm not at all trying to get another MLF/BASS bashing thread started. I'm just truly curious how the changes affects this upcoming Cumberland event.

4. Banned
    Are you fishing it?

5. Member
    Some qualifiers won’t show up, it won’t be a drastic amount but those who have a hard on to fish in a cup will back out. Already seeing it with the BFL regionals too. A buddy of mine placed high enough to fish the regional on the Potomac and they don’t have enough boats for every coangler.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    I look at it like anyone who fishes for a living should be aware of the risks involved. In other words, where would these same anglers be if the FLW had simply closed it's doors for some reason or another due to something worse than being bought. Pro fishing is a big crap shoot in my mind. I would still fish whatever i qualified for and whatever was left that would pay me money.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    Are you fishing it?
    No. I didn't fish any Costa divisions.

Realistically it only affected a handful of anglers. Fishing in the FLW Cup is a bonus reason if they got this far. They fished the Costa for many more reasons above that.

9. Member
    Cup was always an added benefit. Helped folks marking decision between opens and costas.

10. Member
    I suppose they can still be fishing to qualify for the new Pro Tour can't they? Or is there no guarantee on that now? I know the top 20 (or some number around that) in a Costa division had the option to join FLW Tour in past years. I wonder if that will still be honored. Except it's not called FLW Tour any more and instead called Pro Tour or whatever.

11. Banned
    That would suck to fish all year then have it yanked away

12. Member
    Last year they paid put more then $280,000 in the Costa championship, including $97,000 to the winner. Payouts are the same this year.

Who is not show up to a no entry fee tournament with that kind of payout?

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughThumbBG View Post
    Last year they paid put more then $280,000 in the Costa championship, including $97,000 to the winner. Payouts are the same this year.

Who is not show up to a no entry fee tournament with that kind of payout?
    Think the payout is based on participation in qualifying events. Probably be less than stated because of lower participation this year.

14. Member
    Boyd says this is a reset and everyone can't be accounted for.

15. Member
    Thought is out of pocket is 2k or so, and 75 percent doesn’t get a check. It’s Cumberland of which most have never been there. Staying home is the only guaranteed money.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    Staying home is the only guaranteed money.
    So just like any other tournament, EVER?

17. Banned
    I really don’t see how or who will enforce rules. I’d say it’s a safe bet more than a few are pissed off.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I was on Cumberland Tuesday 10/15. I unloaded at daylight and as I was unloading I talked to a guy from Oklahoma. I ask if he was in town for the Costa event and he said yes. He had rented a place for a month and was going to fish Cumberland. There is a brief window of off limit time and he inquired about what lakes in the area would be good to fish on his off limit days. We never discussed the FLW/MLF deal. We just briefly talked a few minutes and were on our way. I spent 9.5 hours on the water that day, which is a little longer than I normally fish. I struggled big time trying to figure them out, so I guess that is why I spent so long on the water. Anyways as I was heading in I saw him going up the lake. His direction of travel was going away from the ramp. I had a rough 9.5 hour day and he was still out there going at it when I left. I have zero idea who the guy was. In fact I don't recall exchanging names. Whoever he is I feel bad knowing he is going to spend 3 weeks on practice and no telling how much $ and if he was to win he would not get to go to the FLW Cup. Granted if he won it would still be a nice payday but no Cup invite would be a hard blow after doing all that work and being out so much in expense.

19. Member
    Rude pretty much. The statement that it was a non entry tournament doesn’t mean much, as most are far away

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    Rude pretty much. The statement that it was a non entry tournament doesn’t mean much, as most are far away
    Chitty deal really. Think of all the expense $$ they were out fishing the season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast