Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Up here in NH, there are signs at both private/public ramps regarding fines for power loading. We fished a deep clear lake last week in NH where theres 10' of water10' of the ramp however the blowout hole from power loading was so severe most of the boats scraped as they went over...the lake was drawn down 2' but still, it was bad. I personally never power load my boat...ever since getting into the go-fast side, I've got way too much money invested in props to take a chance at finding bottom with it while loading. Granted my boat is pretty light and can be winched up extremely quickly. I haven't power loaded in a long time...last time I did, I had just gotten back a Bravo1 from Croxton the day before...needless to say, it went back to him the following day. That was 12 years ago.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

2. Banned
    I thought it was a cool thing to do while wearing my jersey and throwing out free lures to everyone standing on the side of the ramp when I leave the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    This is the reason there's anyone with bad things to say about power loading. I grew up in WV where all the lakes used to be rivers and where the water level fluctuates, so ramps are long and it would be silly NOT to power load. Then I move to MN where the vast majority of lakes are natural, where water levels fluctuate very little, and where the ramps are much shorter. Power loading does mess those up...even if you don't collapse the ramp, you end up with a hole right at the end of the ramp, often accompanied by super shallow water just out from there where all the material from the hole landed. In some places it's so shallow that your boat can't float over it and you're either dragging bottom or having to come at the ramp from the side somehow.
    Thats the case here, I live on a sand spit, usually the DPW, has to get a back hoe to take the sand bar out from the people who powerload. Lakefront owners realk like repirting it too.....you are on THEIR lake.

Are you talking about the guys that don't hook up their bow strap before pulling the boat out? I've seen some people that keep the motor running until the boat settles on the bunks more as they are pulling the boat out of the water. I would never pull up the ramp without my bow strap hooked.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Hope it provides amusement.

Do you know why people do that? I don't think you mean gunning the throttle when the engine and prop are out of the water.

and the TM thing I am guilty of too. Do Pros do this?
    Helps giving the old truck a push up the ramp and keeps the boat from sliding back off the trailer.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    keeps the boat from sliding back off the trailer.
    This is a must if you ever loaded a Stratos with a drop down bow stop by the way.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

I've always power loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I thought it was a cool thing to do while wearing my jersey and throwing out free lures to everyone standing on the side of the ramp when I leave the lake.

illegal in Michigan, and a DQ on tourny day

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Are you talking about the guys that don't hook up their bow strap before pulling the boat out? I've seen some people that keep the motor running until the boat settles on the bunks more as they are pulling the boat out of the water. I would never pull up the ramp without my bow strap hooked.
    This^^^^ is power loading

They keep up the throttle till the motor starts to come out of the water then shut it off by the key.

Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Since I am the one who made this post, let me see if I can clarify my comments since Mr. Perry seems to be aroused by the original post. My comment was meant to point out the ones that have to keep the engine running and gunning the throttle as their buddy pulls the boat out of the water. Now if that's how all of you load a boat, then I sure as hell enjoy the entertainment that you provide.
    I have done it this way and it is not because of the pro's. Usually on a shallow ramp it is easier and I don't have to hang/step over the front to attached the winch.

Float off and drive on.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Mark is right around here lots of guys do it. I do it every time if I have someone else driving the truck. Never had any problem and way easier to just hook the boat up in the parking lot.

14. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Launching solo:

1) launch boat with winch strap still attached (3')
    2) detach winch strap and climb on boat
    3) back up boat next to dock, drop Talons
    4) park truck and trailer

Loading solo:

1) glide boat up to dock, drop Talons
    2) fetch truck, back trailer to just below top of rear fender well
    3) drive boat 2/3's way up trailer
    4) winch rest of way
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    Just have 2 questions. If I do not get out of the boat after dropping my talons, how can I go park the truck and trailer? Same goes for loading solo. After I glide up to the dock and drop my talons, how can I fetch the truck and trailer if I do not get out of the boat?
    ... silly me!

And I thought that anglers from Alabama can read between the lines.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    It just a way to take money from tourist from Illinois. Kind of like your toll roads.
    Maybe so. I avoid the IL toll roads whenever possible.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Launching solo:

1) launch boat with winch strap still attached (3')
    2) detach winch strap and climb on boat
    3) back up boat next to dock, drop Talons
    4) park truck and trailer

Loading solo:

1) glide boat up to dock, drop Talons
    2) fetch truck, back trailer to just below top of rear fender well
    3) drive boat 2/3's way up trailer
    4) winch rest of way

Just about my routine except I try to drive the boat up to within 6 inches of the bow roller.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. dartag1829
    The DNR used to sit at the Elizabeth Park on The Detroit River and get the out of state guys in the BFL's. I think it was a 125.00 ticket. Signs are posted No Power Loading. Great fund raiser.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob o View Post
    illegal in Michigan, and a DQ on tourny day
    We can drive the boat onto the trailer...We just can't hit the throttle once the boat hits the bunks...I just glide onto the bunks, then get onto the Basscat step and winch it up a couple of turns...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Same question ran through my head. Makes no sense what so ever to keep the boat running while it’s being pulled out the water. Not sure where this would help except maybe help push a vehicle that’s not properly equipped to be pulling that boat out. Even then what minimal help the thrust helps with is for a short distance till you run out of water. So really don’t see the logic in people doing that. Giving it a little power to get on the trailer is fine and I do it all the time but beyond that it’s useless

When the pros are taking all of their boats out of the water, they are trying to do it as quickly as possible. They DO NOT attach the front winch strap when they use this method. The guy driving the truck backs the trailer into the water, the boat driver runs the boat up on the trailer and the guy driving the truck pulls up the ramp. They run the big motor right up the split second the prop lifts out of the water and then shut it down. This is done to keep the boat firmly all the way up on the trailer until it is lifted above the water surface. Believe it or not, once the boat is lifted out of the water it will not slide back on the trailer unless the ramp is VERY steep. I have never had the balls to try this but I have seen it done literally 100s of times and I never seen a boat even slide back an inch, even on some pretty steep ramps. Almost every boat at every pro tournament comes out of the water this way. IT IS CRAZY but it works every time.
    Last edited by Ski Tar; 10-17-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I didn't realize there was any other way. Been about 35 years now.
    Yep

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast