Thread: new to Garmin

new to Garmin

How do you move the menu tabs from the side of the screen to the bottom of the screen?

New to Garmin, trying to setup 1242xsv with the menu tabs on the bottom of screen instead of the side.
    Would someone please post a step by step procedure to accomplish placing the menu tabs on the bottom of the screen.
    Thanking you in advance.

2. Member
    I may be totally off base here, but I think the ECHOMAP Plus series has the menus along the bottom of the screen and the GPSMAP units have the menus based on the right side of the screen. I don't have a GPSMap so I can't tell you for sure, but thats generally what I've seen on videos and demo models.

3. Member
    I can't figure out what he means. Here are two shots from a 1242 touch.
    Standard Garmin choices across the bottom.
    Then when you choose one, sub menus on the right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I can't figure out what he means. Here are two shots from a 1242 touch.
    Standard Garmin choices across the bottom.
    Then when you choose one, sub menus on the right.
    LW2,
    Pic #1 & #2 has the home tab on the bottom of the screen where as on my gpsmap1242 the home option is on the top right side of screen but it is a button to the top left of the turnable knob.
    When I push the home button, the right side of the screen does show the options available as in pic#2. If I push the menu button underneath to the left side to the turnable button the options also show up on the left side of the screen as in pic #2.
    The right side of my screen always shows some type of option therefore occupying a portion of the screen. I would like to eliminate that look to give me more viewable screen for the LS.
    I'm trying to accomplish the screen layout(time,waypoints,info,Home,etc) that you show at the bottom of pic #1.

Juan Lobo, you might very well be correct. My unit isn't the touch version.

5. Member
    Ahhh I see. So perhaps a better way to phrase your question is, "On my non-touch GPSMap 1242 is there a way to disable the menus that are cluttering up the right side of the screen"
    Since I'd imagine that with a non-touch model there is really no reason to have any menu of any sort on your screen since you gotta press Menu and scroll around with your wheel anyways. A pic / screenshot might help someone with your model better diagnose how to help!

6. Member
    Settings->System->Display->Menu Bar Display->Auto Hide

That's what it is on most models.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Settings->System->Display->Menu Bar Display->Auto Hide

That's what it is on most models.
    LW2,
    I will give it a try asap.
    Thank you very much.

8. Member
    Well I understood your question and will gladly pass on the info you requested. I have a button/dial 1242xsv also. Menu/Edit Combo/Overlays/Data/Side Bar,Top Bar,Double Side Bar or None. If you choose to have a Bar on the screen, the next window will let you customize what info you want on that screen.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    Well I understood your question and will gladly pass on the info you requested. I have a button/dial 1242xsv also. Menu/Edit Combo/Overlays/Data/Side Bar,Top Bar,Double Side Bar or None. If you choose to have a Bar on the screen, the next window will let you customize what info you want on that screen.

I was successful in removing the menu bar per your instructions.

And Juan yes being more descriptive in the beginning would also help.

Thank you BigBry,LW2 and Juan