Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Mom's Apple Butter...

rb's post got me thinking about my Mom, she passed in 2004, she was 80. My Mom loved to bake, we always had fresh baked breads, cakes and pies, but her specialty was apple butter. Somehow I got/ had the last jar she ever made. My oldest daughter helped Mom make that last batch, has to be 22-23 years ago. Like I said, rb's post got me thinking about Mom, memories and that jar of apple butter. It's been in the back of the refrigerator all these years, no one wanted to be the one who ate the last little bit left in the jar. Well today I decided to finish it off. OH MY GOD!!!... It was better than I remembered... Thanks Mom... Dan

Wish I could have my mom's carrot cake one more time, she passed in 2017 at 63 years old. Miss her every day

3. Banned
    Neat story Dan, I have never had homemade apple butter, just the stuff from Cracker Barrel. Is it safe to eat after 23 years?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Is it safe to eat after 23 years?
    I'm hoping it was safe to eat... We'll find out later today if it wasn't... Dan

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Neat story Dan, I have never had homemade apple butter, just the stuff from Cracker Barrel. Is it safe to eat after 23 years?
    We'll know tomorrow or so.

I'm glad mom's apple butter didn't go to waste.

6. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    dang good times right there
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

7. Member
    My moms specialty was Red Velvet cake every christmas. She passed in 2004, my sister makes it every christmas now but not near as good as Moms.

There’s a saying...

Some days, shit. Some days, apple butter.

Today, it really is apple butter.

9. Member
    My mom was a great cook and baker! She passed in 2014. About 3 years before she passed, she gave all of the grandchildren a book with all of her special recipes (31) which included her Bloody Marys, ( her name was Mary) Shrimp salad, Carrot cake and many more. She baked desserts for restaurants. Waitressed and bartender until she was 80 and still had time to raise her 10 children! Miss her everyday! The apple butter is a great story! Thanks for posting!

10. Member
    My favorite is from my grandmother.
    It is an Hungarian favorite from her.
    Roll out the dough and cut into 4" squares, cut two slits in each piece and fold the ends through the cuts.
    Deep fry in lard till done and then place on paper to drain.
    After they have drained, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Pure heaven and I know that's where she is now.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Jack View Post
    My favorite is from my grandmother.
    It is an Hungarian favorite from her.
    Roll out the dough and cut into 4" squares, cut two slits in each piece and fold the ends through the cuts.
    Deep fry in lard till done and then place on paper to drain.
    After they have drained, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Pure heaven and I know that's where she is now.
    That sounds good, have a recipe?

If you have favorite foods that family members made, by all means learn to cook them. They need to be passed down rather than ‘She made the best ever’ but we don’t know how. I have a book full of my mom’s recipes. My grandfather’s Polish sausage, many soups, pierogi, noodles, etc. Us Polacks do 2 things right. Eat and drink. (Been to enough family get togethers that I’m sure the drink was a priority). We have fun. But get stuff in writing.

13. Member
    Great story and brings back so many memories.....especially this time of the year when food seems to become even more significant. I still have some of my mothers recipe’s and I can never make it just like she did. I guess that is why “moms were (are) the best!”

My grandma was the best cook/ baker/ farmhand anyone could ask for. She raised 12 kids. Everyone of her daughters were excellent cooks/bakers. Every Sunday my mom made pies, made enough dough after making a pie she could make a couple of those 4 inch pies for my lunch. You could buy a Hostess pie for $.25 kids in the lunch room would offer me .75. Hell no.

My mom has been gone 50 years, my wife never had the opportunity to meet my mom. Sure wish she could have given her some recipes.

15. Banned
    We have most of Mom's recipes but she must have improvised... My sister makes her Cheese Cake but it's certainly missing something... Her stuffing at Thanksgiving is another one no one can duplicate... Oh well, I got a small slice of childhood this morning... Dan

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    I'm hoping it was safe to eat... We'll find out later today if it wasn't... Dan
    It was worth the gamble
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

17. Member
    Reading this really brings back some good memories. My Mom was not a very good cook she would only use salt as a seasoning, but she could bake cookies. Every month I was on a Navy ship on deployment a box of her cookies would come in the mail.
    John the Garage Doorman

Thanks Dan for making it all dusty in here. Great story. My Mom would always make me a jam cake at Christmas even though I knew she really didn't like making them because they were pretty involved. Not everybody liked them but what I wouldn't give for her to make me another one. In my mind it made me feel special when she'd make one for just because I liked it.

19. Member
    My Mom passed a year ago next week. Whatever she made me and my 3 bros and sister enjoyed. We probably expected it, but she provided for us because she wanted to, needed to , to make sure we were good. Yea, I miss her.

20. Member
    Great story Dan thanks for sharing it. Brings back many strong memories. My grandmother made sticky buns that would melt in your mouth. My brother and I would wake up to that incredible smell all thru the house and know we were in for a treat. Have tried to make them several times but never come close to hers. I have her recipe but she says to add a bit of this and a dab of that and to kneed the dough until just right, wish I had taken the time to make them with her and learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast