Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Good reliable engine. rest of the truck, not so much. Worst fuel mileage of any truck I have owned. My 454's did better. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

I think some people are confusing variable valve timing (VVT) with active fuel management (AFM), also called Displacement on Demand (DOD). VVT, as the name implies, changes the cam timing by retarding or advancing it depending on the needs. DOD is the thing that causes issues for some as it turns off 4 cylinders which can lead to burning oil.

DOD can be disabled with the computer but it will still have the specific lifters that allow it to work. To totally remove it you would have to replace them with standard hydraulic roller lifters which some people do. I would not mess with it unless one failed (which is rare) and you had to pop it open anyway. I suppose VVT could be disabled as well but I have never heard of it. I've only heard of people disabling DOD. While DOD can be an issue, I think like most things on the internet, the seriousness of those issues has been exaggerated.

The 8th digit of your VIN is 'Y' which is the identified as the L76 derivative of the LS2 which has an aluminum block and heads. Its also referred to as the VortecMAX which is a bit more horsepower.

Here's some info from Wiki

The L76 is derived from the LS2, and like the LS2 it features an aluminum engine block. However, the L76 does feature Active fuel management (AFM). While the displacement on demand technology was disabled on Holdens, this feature is enabled on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and subsequently refitted in the 2009 model Holdens with AFM enabled, but only on models fitted with the 6L80 Automatic Transmission. The engine also meets Euro III emissions requirements. Output is 348 bhp (260 kW) at 5600 rpm and 376 lb⋅ft (510 N⋅m) at 4400 rpm for the Holden variant, and 361 bhp (269 kW) and 385 lb⋅ft (522 N⋅m) for the G8 GT.[6] The Vortec 6000 or new VortecMax version is based on the Holden L76 engine, and features variable cam phasing, along with Active Fuel Management. It can be considered the replacement for the Generation III LQ9 engine. It produces 367 hp (274 kW) at 5400 rpm and 375 lb⋅ft (508 N⋅m) at 4400 rpm. Production of the truck-spec L76 started in late 2006, and it was only available with the new body style Silverado and Sierra. The final year for the truck-spec L76 was 2009 in the Silverado and Sierra; it was replaced by the 6.2L L9H engine for MY 2010.
    Last edited by berudd; 10-17-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    It's a horse but thirsty.
    Exactly. Good strong motor, but loves the gas.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

4. Member
    We had one at work before someone crashed it. Engine ran great and was a strong runner. Gas mileage was horrible.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

I really like my 2017 6.0L Chevy... Lots of power and not bad on gas with a 6 speed. Tons of low end.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Are oil leaks common with the older ones? Specifically an '07. I went and looked at the truck this evening. It literally looked brand new. I'm in the car restoration business and this thing blew me away, HOWEVER, there appears to be an oil leak. I'm going to drive it on sunday and inspect the oil pan area further.

7. Member
    Have an ‘03 Yukon with over 230k on the 6.0. Still running strong with no issues except for a rear main leak that has been repaired.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fejj View Post
    Are oil leaks common with the older ones? Specifically an '07. I went and looked at the truck this evening. It literally looked brand new. I'm in the car restoration business and this thing blew me away, HOWEVER, there appears to be an oil leak. I'm going to drive it on sunday and inspect the oil pan area further.
    Inspect the crankcase breather tubes and hoses. Oil leaks go down and back. If there's oil on top it will find its way to the back bottom of the engine. There may be a breather hose on the front inside of the starboard valve cover, and could be one across the back of the engine. That stuff is under a huge plastic shield which comes off easily.

04 Silverado with 240K miles running strong. I believe the 6 liters are the 350 chevy block that has been around forever. They are hard to kill
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    04 Silverado with 240K miles running strong. I believe the 6 liters are the 350 chevy block that has been around forever. They are hard to kill
    Nope, not the same as the Gen 1 SBC that the 350 comes from. I think the main bearings are the same but other than that, they are totally different. 6 bolt main skirted block, totally different head design, one piece main seal, etc, etc. Different crank and bore dimensions, different camshaft bore diameter, different rod length, different deck height. Pretty much everything LOL.

The 6.0 is a Gen IV SBC all aluminum engine that has more in common with the current engines in Corvettes than the SBC that was introduced in 1955.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    We have alot of them in our fleet at work, good engine with very little issues. They like gas, we get around 10MPG with them loaded.
    We are having alot of trouble with the emissions stuff on the diesels we have stopped buying diesels and buying all gas with the 6.0 in our fleet

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    My 6.0 is a cast iron block, aluminum heads.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Truck 6.0 other than Ss1500 are iron
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 10-18-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Nope, not the same as the Gen 1 SBC that the 350 comes from. I think the main bearings are the same but other than that, they are totally different. 6 bolt main skirted block, totally different head design, one piece main seal, etc, etc. Different crank and bore dimensions, different camshaft bore diameter, different rod length, different deck height. Pretty much everything LOL.

The 6.0 is a Gen IV SBC all aluminum engine that has more in common with the current engines in Corvettes than the SBC that was introduced in 1955.
    Its an iron block. I think you could get an aluminum but not in 3/4 and 1 tons.

Had one in my last two Sierras. One had 175,000 when I traded it in. The other had 134,000. No issues with either motor.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    My 6.0 is a cast iron block, aluminum heads.
    Very likely but the 8th digit of his VIN is Y and that means aluminum block. You can check them all out here: https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...e-do-i-have%3F
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Its an iron block. I think you could get an aluminum but not in 3/4 and 1 tons.
    Not according to his VIN. See previous post. Details on his engine: https://help.summitracing.com/app/an...tail/a_id/4863
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12