Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$ spent on rod vs reel

Wondering what most guys spend on rod vs reel. I have always spent more on reels than rods since rods get broken easily, and using braid for every application as i do, sensitivity is not an issue.
    My reels are all top of the line and never fail me.

2. Member
    I usually spend a lot more on the rods than the reels, I too use braid for literally every reel. My thought is that a cheaper reel can do the same job as a more expensive one just not cast as far or have a buttery smooth drag but a good rod will compensate for it. A cheaper rod doesn’t usually have the sensitivity, action, or balance more expensive ones do and i feel it decreases catch rate by missing fish or hook sets. As an example, I use a $20 and $50 rod when camping and have a hard time setting the hook with Texas rigs since the rods don’t have a good blank and I can’t feel really any bites even with braid. I can’t feel bottom composition either but it’s just a beater set up and if it breaks while packing it’s alright. I should also say that all my rods are right around the $150-$200 mark, my reels are $50-$170. Anything above those points I never really saw a drastic improvement that will increase catch rate
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    My reels are from $150 to $500 most fully customized and tuned.

My rods are from $125 to $600. Various brands, customs, US and JDM.

I think what you spend on what is really up to and what you want to do. For and average Joe just wanting an all around outfit you can stay balanced with say a $150 rod and a $150 reel. Performance of both pieces will be nice and balanced. Cranking is something where you can get by with say a cheaper rod but you may want to beef up the reel price a little and get than solid aluminum frame and brass gear set. You might spend $100 to $150 for a cranking stick and say $200 or for the solid reel you need. Now for jig and worm it may be the other way around. You might opt for a magnesium framed reel or smaller more compact frame with something known for a good blank and good feel. So it that scenario you might spend a little more on the rod. If you like the BFS game you will quickly find the reel is the key and so is the spool and to an extent BFS bearings. You might sink well over $200-300 in a reel with mods but you can find a light casting rod like a Phenix Feather for about $150 or a Major craft rod a decent price.

I would also suggest buying things lightly used or on closeout vs getting drawn in by the latest and greatest. Let the early adopters try all the new stuff and work out the kinks. A good example of buying things on close out were the green NRX rods. TW blew them out for right around $300 give or take. I kick myself for not grabbing another. Same sort of thing with reels.

4. Banned
    Rods between $100-200 (after "discount shopping")
    Reels between $100-200 (after "discount shopping")
    seem to catch just as much as when I spent more!

5. Member
    Depends what kind of technique for a rod. Moving bait rods are usually same price or cheaper than my flippin or bottom contact rods. Spinning rods are always more expensive than the reels for me

6. Member
    All of my stuff is in the $150-350 range each (both rods and reels). Sometimes I'll have an expensive reel on a cheap rod, and vice versa. Just depends on what I need to do the job.

150.00 or less on either..

I spend more money on rods than reels. Most rods are in the 200+ range...reels are 200 or less for the most part. I'm not a fan of braid being a do it all line because it's not. I fish fluorocarbon on about 80% of my setups, 15% braid and 5% copoly. Definitely spend the money on your rods over reels...sensitivity, weight and balance comes with a higher price tag. Just in my experience, I haven't broken many rods...maybe 4 or 5 at the most over the last 10 years...most were my own fault and those that weren't were replaced under warranty (part of the advantage of paying more for a good rod).

9. Banned
    Im a reel nut. I like the finer things with them, and features that may come with. Rods, well you can find some really nice ones that are very sensitive for under $200. Hell, I have a few that I got for less than $150, and sold off my high dollar ones because it dont make sense to me to keep them. Ive had people that have high dollar Loomis rods try some of the odd ones that I have found and tell me they like them more than the $400 Loomis they have. That argument can be made with reels as well, and to each is their own with what they would rather spend more money on. That being said, I dont have a display case dedicated to rods that I have "collected" over the years, but I do have one for reels, and some have never seen line on them.

I spend good money on both usually these days now that 'I'm a man...I'm 40', but I think the rod is most important. I could probably make any aluminum framed $100 reel work for me...as long as it's on a sensitive rod.

11. Member
    I’m all over on price for both but tend to spend more on the rod. It really depends on the technique in which way I go and how often I utilize said technique
    Nitro z21

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    I’m all over on price for both but tend to spend more on the rod. It really depends on the technique in which way I go and how often I utilize said technique
    This for me as well. I typically spend more on the rod than the reel, but I'll spend more on both if it's a setup I use a lot. I'm much more willing to go cheaper if I'm only going to use that rod/reel once in a while. And I'd say definitely spend more on the rod if it's a rod that will be used for bottom contact baits where sensitivity is key. You don't need to spend a fortune, but you'll definitely be better off with a $200-$250 rod versus a $100 rod in that instance, at least in my experience.

13. Member
    all depends on the technique. Rods that need sensitivity then I spend for the top brands (Steez, GLX/NRX, Megabass). Techniques that require LONG casts get great reels that can sing it out there. I have a rod made specific by Megabass for the ITO 110. It just doesn't lose fish. I paired it with a Curado DC that can move it out there which in clear water can make a difference.......in the end I mostly spend on both as they are tools and I like nice tools, I am totally at fault for my results :)
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Rods between $100-200 (after "discount shopping")
    Reels between $100-200 (after "discount shopping")
    seem to catch just as much as when I spent more!
    I'm the same. My $50 Halo's I bought at Walmart catch more fish than my more expensive rods.

15. Member
    I don't know that money is the best factor to look at compared to performance. For example if you are using and jerkbait, spinnerbait, chatterbait you don't nor should you use an NRX. But if you flip the coin and need a incredibly susitive ned rig rod an NRX is a good option if you use it a ton. With reels it's simple they do two things cast jures and bring fish in. If you have a reel that spins well and can retreive lure and fish how you want , money doesn't matter as long as it lasts.

16. Member

a lesson

So a few years ago I had an experience that demonstrated that the reel is an important part of sensitivity. We were drift fishing for steelhead where sensitivity is critical.

I fished a few hours with a guide's set up where the rod was great but the reel was a Penn Fierce. I asked him if I could try my reel (2011 Steez 2500), which I had lined with exactly the same line he had on the fierce. The difference was remarkable. It was like the rod came alive. The guide felt it, and immediately got on the phone and had his wife order a pair of stellas (he was a shimano pro staff).

The price difference between the fierce and the steez is dramatic - one should expect a better feel - but the point remains, the rod matters a lot, but so does the reel. I spend $200 on rod components (I design my rods), but $300-400 on reels.
    Last edited by Snag_Devil; 10-23-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo

17. Member
    I'm good with lews speed spools for most, will get a BB1 for more line capacity or a super duty for frogging, a rig, etc.

Rods are across the board, but generally around the $150-$250 mark.

I feel like my rods and reels generally cost about the same, usually in the $150-200 range. I've got several rods that I've built that cost me around $100 each but that compare to much higher end rods, to be fair. Drop shot and bottom contact rods, for the most part.

I suppose I spend a little less on spinning reels now that I think about it...I’ve moved toward the $100 range on those with Daiwa BGs, just don’t see meaningful improvements in reels costing twice as much or even more.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

19. Member
    About the same for me. Rods $300-500, reels $200-400 plus tuning (spools, handles, ect.) which usually adds another $100-200. I also have some cheaper and more expensive tackle in the line up.

20. Member
    If I could start over with my arsenal, I would have bought 30 shimano citica e series at $89(when they closed out to make room for the next model) and the rest of my budget would go custom alx rods and I believe I would be set up perfectly. As it is now I own a hodge podge of equipment but more often than not spend the money on rods over reels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast