Solix out of stock

Any idea why all the solix units are out of stock at hummingbird. Have a couple distributors I can buy from wholesale and they are all out of stock as well. The back order dates keep getting pushed back every time they get close to there dates. Is hummingbird getting ready to update these units?

2. Member
    You will get a better deal from a board sponsor anyway. They have them in stock
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Doubt he will get wholesale prices from any board sponsor.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    Doubt he will get wholesale prices from any board sponsor.
    Not sure how it is in Canada but I've seen the wholesale price and there are folks selling them for $20 above wholesale. Illegal or not some major price fixing is needed in the marine electronics business.

I did call someone last night to see and they are in stock. I figure he is fishing for a rumour........

5. Member
    Why would a dealer sell for what they paid? Or $20 over for their trouble. Lets get specific. What exact unit and what exact "wholesale price"? GM209 was looking at the Humminbird site! That is 100% of list. Call a sponsor and get a real number. If you can get a better price you did good. Bob

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Why would a dealer sell for what they paid? Or $20 over for their trouble. Lets get specific. What exact unit and what exact "wholesale price"? GM209 was looking at the Humminbird site! That is 100% of list. Call a sponsor and get a real number. If you can get a better price you did good. Bob
    You've got me Bob as to why they do it or how they make money. I've had my accountant try and figure it out for my guy so he can be more competitive and stay in business. They are at a loss after looking at the cost/sell price and all the variables. All they can figure is if you are in your mother's basement you would do fairly well.

Let's get specific Bob. I have a very successful business that is a niche market. There are so few of us we don't step on each others toes, so to speak. That is the only way small business can make it now and it's gotten tougher in the last three years, a lot tougher!

Pick a model and I can find someone selling it for 5% over cost. There is no way an actual shop can make it on that markup no matter what labor they charge. Why do you think that folks are on here constantly with issues? They buy cheap, get bad info from the places they buy (yes I got some from a board sponsor) and they complain because HB (and garmin and lowrance) is just crap.

Many models of all brands barely have an 8 % markup. So at the low end it's simply not worth it for a person that has knowledge to spend time with them. My guy gets 5 phone calls a day from folks shopping information so they can go online and buy. I constantly tell him to just stop them if they start mentioning price or self-install. If they mention price it's not worth his time. If they want to self-install he can, and does, help those that buy from him who want to install it themselves.

Last month there was a board sponsor here selling the lowrance trolling motor on pre order for $35 over cost. They were turned into the regional rep and it looks like a lot of those orders will never ship. I hope they don't and good for lowrance! I wish more companies did this. You can't regulate prices but you sure as hell can regulate your dealers!

MSRP is very fair to the customer and the dealer. It's pathetic how folks think that anyone is getting rich off this business. It's even more pathetic how everyone is willing to gut a dealer for their own personal gain. Please don't get me started on those folks competing for business by cutting prices so low.

7. Member
    I am by no way a dealer just have a business that allows me to buy from places that sell this stuff. There is not much discount in these and according to my distributors who buy direct from Johnson they don’t make much. When talking to one rep he mentioned that make like 2-4 percent on their end. But anyway the purpose of my post is that it I am in the market to upgrade. Haven’t because these guys have been out of the units I want. I’m not going to pay retail and especially not when I can buy them through my business. But it seems strange to me that three major marine distributors are out of stock and so is hummingbird on most all of these units across the board. Like they are being phased out for a new Solix?

8. Member
    The HB site shows that status on most items. The couple times I ordered a cable or something it always took way longer than I was told. I don't even consider going that way anymore. I have bought electronics from board sponsors for much less than MSRP. You need to call them, not look at the web page. I usually get more than one thing at a time and do quite well. Bob

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey209 View Post
    I am by no way a dealer just have a business that allows me to buy from places that sell this stuff. There is not much discount in these and according to my distributors who buy direct from Johnson they don’t make much. When talking to one rep he mentioned that make like 2-4 percent on their end. But anyway the purpose of my post is that it I am in the market to upgrade. Haven’t because these guys have been out of the units I want. I’m not going to pay retail and especially not when I can buy them through my business. But it seems strange to me that three major marine distributors are out of stock and so is hummingbird on most all of these units across the board. Like they are being phased out for a new Solix?
    They may be but the G2 was a spring release this year. Yesterday one of my guys suppliers had a few. They have 16 warehouses so I assume that makes them a major marine supplier.... lol

As was explained to me there is so little markup now that some suppliers only order a limited amount and don't get in a hurry to restock. Also may manufactures are having issues with the tariffs and are cutting back production. I see that now and a lot of the issue is with small monitors we use. HB may not have figured in the tariff upcharge on imports so it's scaling back some on the larger screens. Large touch screens are very expensive to import.

10. Member
    If you need a Humminbird Solix G2, give me a call. We have all screen sizes (10 / 12 /15") available in the MEGA+ Si units.

As always, thank you to those who support the board sponsors that make this site possible.

Brian