Merc 175HP Prop Pitch

Looking at buying a 2001 Merc EFI
    What pitch prop will preform best on the motor. I will be installing this motor on a 1997 Ranger 461VS with a 6" hydro jack plate.

Might wanna post up in the ranger section for a better answer, more of a boat and motor question than just a motor one. They should be able to help you there.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    +1/23 tempest
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED information with each new post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Running a 25p Tempest Plus on my 175 Merc XRi EFI hung on my Ranger 481vs with a 6 inch manual plate. Either that or a 24p Fury would be what I would go with, though if you go the latter route you'll likely need some cup added - mine over-revs with a stock 24p Fury. The added weight of the hydraulic jackplate may stop that, though my boat has a little more setback than yours and I do have 4 group 31 batteries in it, so it might be a wash. I'd be grabbing a 25p Tempest Plus if it were me. 1 large hole PVS plug...hole shot with a light load is best with all holes open, but it will blow out with more load in the boat so need to have the large PVS plug in place.

The 25 Tempest Plus will push mine 65 on a cool morning with a light load, 63 with normal load and average temperatures, 61 when it's hot or the boat is heavy. There's probably a little more left in it, but it's not been worth it for me to fiddle around with. Might be a little easier to mess with given the hydraulic jackplate on yours.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360