Suggestions for ProCraft setup

I know this is mostly Bass boat guys but, can I get some help with my fish and ski?
    1995 ProCraft 180 Combo. 95 Mercury 175 xri.
    23 pitch Tempest Plus. Rpms are 5800 at 58 mph wot. Prop shaft is 4" below pad. I know it's 200 rpms over my recommended WOT.
    Prop is currently at the shop getting cup added to it.
    I'm wanting more speed. Suggestions? 6" jackplate?

2. Member
    6" plate would help it but some prop work would help it more and not just adding cup. You might get another 3-4 mph from it with the plate and a good prop.

3. Member
    RPM's are fine, they run better propped to turn 6000 RPMs WOT on the 2.4 and 2.5 motors.

4. Member
    My buddy has that boat with a 150xr6. I traded him my 24 tempest and he runs 58-59 at 5600. I’m guessing you will pick up a bit with the repaired prop, if it is repaired well. If the prop isn’t right when you get it back, send it to mark.

5. Member
    Ok. Got my prop back this past weekend. Went out with my woman who is quite smaller than my Tournament partner. Rpms are at 5600, speed has now dropped to 52-53 mph. That's trimmed all the way as far as it will let me. The rooster tail is substantially higher than it was before. Used to be just a little over top of motor. Now it's probably 10 feet above motor.
    Am I mounted too low? I have one more hole I can move up. Still looking for a decent price jack plate but, in the meantime....
    Again, thanks in advance for everyone's help.

If you have a 10' rooster tail, your WAY to high. Probably very little if any water pressure.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

7. Member
    Water pressure is fine. Nothing has changed from all the times I've ran the boat except, the prop guy cleaned up the edges of the blades and added a little cup. Just got off the phone with him and he said, "Somethings not right"
    Umm, obviously.
    Asked if he thought I should raise the motor. He said no. If you haven't changed anything then just bring the prop back to me and let me look at it...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r83srock View Post
    My buddy has that boat with a 150xr6. I traded him my 24 tempest and he runs 58-59 at 5600. I’m guessing you will pick up a bit with the repaired prop, if it is repaired well. If the prop isn’t right when you get it back, send it to mark.
    Does your buddy happen to have his prop shaft to pad measurement?

9. Member
    You should be mounted in the second hole from the top without a plate so lower your motor.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissmyace14 View Post
    Does your buddy happen to have his prop shaft to pad measurement?
    I could ask him but I think his boat is in storage for the season, not sure if he has access to it.

Some boats like the motor a little lower on the transom, especially without a jackplate. I do think if things got worse then your prop is the culprit. You might need to go up a pitch or two as well.

Not sure how you are trimming your motor but next time you go out try bumping up the trim slowly, when your speed stops increasing bump it a touch more. When you are trimmed to a point where you lose speed, bump the trim back down a touch, that when you will achieve max speed.

11. Member
    Ok, I'm still fighting this thing. Finally got a 6" plate put on. Done some testing and more testing and more testing. 52 mph was the norm. Bumped 53 once when prop to pad was at 3.5" and when the jackplate was at it's lowest possible setting. The only thing that changed from lowest setting to 3.25 p to p was my rpms.
    Handling felt quite a bit better. It will sit you back in the seat when gunning it out of the hole.
    Still can't get the speed that I once had.
    I even took my transducer off thinking maybe it was causing a little more prop slip.
    Motor at 3.25 p to p is turning 5650 at 52-53 mph.
    Every quarter inch adjustment down from there, same mph (52.5) rpms would gradually drop with it turning 5400 at the lowest setting and running 53.
    No matter which height it's set at, I can trim all the way up till it won't trim anymore. It doesn't blow out or lose any speed.
    I've tried everything I know and can't figure out why I can't get back to AT LEAST my original speed of 58. I would believe that with a plate, I should be seeing 60.
    The only two things that I feel it can be is either my motor has lost power (don't think so) or the prop guy has messed my prop up.
    But he's been in business for a couple decades. I just don't get it.

12. Banned
    Either the prop isn't a 23p or your tach is way off or your motor has a issue. That 175 should hit the rev limiter with a 23p. I ran a 25p for everyday use that was 50-75 rpms below the limiter and had a 24p to pull tubes and skiers that would hit the limiter with little effort but had a great hole shot.

13. Member
    If he ground the edges when he cleaned it up it may never be right. See if you can borrow a known good 23" tempest ans try it. That's a carb motor isn't it have the carbs been rebuild in case ethanol fuel has been used in it.

14. Member
    No, it's efi.
    I have a 24 pitch Turbo that was on it when I bought the boat. When I first took it out to test it, it ran 57 and was turning around 5900 rpms. I will throw it back on there and see what it does. I'll also do a compression test on it again this weekend. Was planning on decarbing it this weekend too. I'm more than certain that it's never been done.

While I'm here, I have another question. If everything checks out that it's not the motor losing power, I'm planning on sending the prop to a well known prop guy. I spoke with Ken from prop God's. He recommended me to send it to Rich at Leading Edge propeller. Others have recommended Mark. Not sure exactly where or what company he is at but, which one do you guys recommend if you know of either ones work?

15. Banned
    http://www.marksprops.com

All his contact info is on his site best prop man in the country.

16. Member
    Welp, it's definitely not the motor. Compression is 125, 125, 124 on the driver side of the motor.
    123, 120, 121 on passenger side if looking at it from the rear of the boat.
    I just wish I knew what he did to this prop to cause such a drop in speed.
    Trimmed all the up as far as it will go on plane, rpms are 5650, speed 52. Couldn't get my other prop from my friend because he was out of town.
    I will be reaching out to Mark and Rich to see if they can bring the prop back to at least it's original performance.