Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 250 pro xs cylinder 6 not working

I have twin 250 pro xs 2013 , but im having an issue with my port engine. My number 6 cylinder is not working. Like it all of sudden stopped firing. Engine runs fine. Its turn key. however i notice that lately then when i go take off i struggle to plain like if not all cylinder are firing. But i get no alarms. So what i did is pull off the cowling and looked around the engine looked at the fuses i had one blown fuse so i replaced it. But no change i started checking the coils one by one looking for any changes . Of course 1-5 you can tell when you would unplug it. But # 6 noticed no change. So took the boat out of the water and started checking other things out , pulled out the spark plug looks to clean in comparison to the other ones. I swapped out the spark with a new one no change, swapped coils with another working cylinder no change. Coil works on the other cylinder #6 still doesn't fire up. Pulled out the air injector inspected and swapped out with another one still no change changed the fuel injector looking for a change still nothing , did a compression test i actually have really good compression i have 125-130 thru out all six cylinders. So i unplugged a spark plug boot looking for spark and there is spark but no change . So i switched the spark plug cable anyway but still no change, ordered a new coil put it on still no change. Looked over the grounds cleaned them up still no change. Had the computer put own to see if any codes and no codes where showing did the drop test an obviously 1-5 where able to test but no change on 6 idk what else to check or what am i missing. I strongly dont think it would be a tracker issue , reeds are good, i dont think it would be the fuels pumps because cylinders 1-5 work perfect. I do run quickleen and quickare in every tank. Prior to all this these engines have been flawless most recent service was done in july with all new filters, thermostats ,spark plugs etc
    serial
    1B752546

any ideas on what else i should check?

thanks
    Last edited by Elite711; 10-16-2019 at 04:26 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tried a NEW, properly gapped spark plug in that cylinder?

Inspected REEDS?

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Yes i put a new spark plug and its gapped to .42 and reeds are all good no chips

serial 1B752546

4. Member
    Did you remove the plenum to inspect the reeds?

5. Member
    yes i did , i first put a mirror in there but couldn't see to well , so i just decided to take it off and check to be sure. And they are good.

6. Member
    time to check for spun cyl sleeve
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any evidence of water on the spark plug when inspected?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I would need to check the sleeve.

9. Member
    No evidence of water on the spark plug.

10. Member
    Some say check the vst for contamination or any type of debri that might be causing some sort of blockage but i dont think that would be accurate because it would affect all cylinders.

11. Member
    I checked the water seperators for any water and had 0 water. I check the grounds on the coil block and replaced with new wire grounds. However i forgot to check the grounds by the relays.

12. Member
    Do you have spark on #6 after
    Changing coil and plug wires.
    I would be checking for spark with a spark tester.
    If you still have no spark possibly coil driver?

13. Member
    The same spark with old and new coil and spark plug cable same spark. This engine does not have a separate coil driver like the 225

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have the Fuel and Air Injectors (for #6) been tested under the "Functional Tests" section of the Computer Diagnostic System, while verifying that the corresponding injector is actuating? If not, I would recommend it.

15. Member
    Time for the bore scope to peak at the sleeve keep us posted very interesting

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sleeve do sometimes rotate- but that's usually going to affect higher RPM power output. Considering the orientation of the ports, that sleeve would have to rotate a LONG way to prevent enough air entering/exiting (for IDLE operation). While I've never seen one rotate far enough to completely cover the exhaust port, I would expect that at least one ring would hang as the locating pin ended up in the middle of a port.

Be sure to report back.

17. Member
    Ok ran a scope this weekend, all cylinders appear to be the same. Had a friend of mine also to look to double check no shifting outof place everything looks good

18. Member
    possible wire harness connection problem, or have funk shun test done on injectors
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

19. Member
    Ok checked the reeds again and they are all good they are the carbon fiber reeds do you ever need to replace or not after a couple of years or only when broken. I do notice oil in the bottom on pelenium

i took off the air n fuel injectors of # 6 to make if they work or not so i swapped with number 4 air and fuel injectors, and i put the injectors of number 4 in the number 6 cylinder no difference i tried it number 6 on number 4 and they work there. So any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Elite711; 10-28-2019 at 09:26 PM.

See post #6
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast