Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    See post #6

Thank you but see post 17

2. Member
    I would verify voltage to the coil.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I would verify voltage to the coil.

Thank you for you reply , what should the voltage be?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    12VDC.

If you're going to get anyplace with this, it needs to be done in a METHODICAL, Deductive-Reasoning approach, STARTING FROM THE BASICS and working out.

Compression: What are the CURRENT Compression Reading Numbers? (See FAQ for correct method to do compression test)

Spark Test: Use a SPARK BOARD tester, or a TIMING LIGHT (while watching flashing pattern as you are connected to each plug wire) to check for spark.

Air and Fuel Pressures: What are the AIR and FUEL pressures at idle, under acceleration, and 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown?

REEDS: Did you physically REMOVE the entire intake and reed plate assembly so that you could view the reeds from the CRANKCASE side of the Reed Blocks?

Once the above are done correctly, you will very likely have a good idea of where to go next. If you can't do each of the above tests, STOP and enlist the hands-on assistance of someone that can.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    12VDC.

If you're going to get anyplace with this, it needs to be done in a METHODICAL, Deductive-Reasoning approach, STARTING FROM THE BASICS and working out.

Compression: What are the CURRENT Compression Reading Numbers? (See FAQ for correct method to do compression test) 120-125 is what they range on all 6

Spark Test: Use a SPARK BOARD tester, or a TIMING LIGHT (while watching flashing pattern as you are connected to each plug wire) to check for spark. Working on getting a tester

Air and Fuel Pressures: What are the AIR and FUEL pressures at idle, under acceleration, and 5/10/15 seconds after shutdown? Have only tested it at idle and got 92-94/ 105 i will try it out the other way also

REEDS: Did you physically REMOVE the entire intake and reed plate assembly so that you could view the reeds from the CRANKCASE side of the Reed Blocks? No i did not take off the whole thing i ran a telescopic mirror and a camera but i did notice a like a puddle of oil on the bottom of the pelnium i dont know if thats normal because i keep my engine in the neutral position

Once the above are done correctly, you will very likely have a good idea of where to go next. If you can't do each of the above tests, STOP and enlist the hands-on assistance of someone that can.
    i will go back to it and try it

thank you

6. Member
    9DC10344-E5C7-421C-8B02-5AD8F575CEF9.jpeg I wanted to know if this normal. Thanks

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil there: Yes.

Type of oil there: No.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Oil there: Yes.

Type of oil there: No.
    ? What do you mean by the type of oil? Do you mean premium plus

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Optimax/DFI Oil isn't "blue".

10. Member
    Optimax/DFI Oil isn't "blue".
    This is my third set of opti my first set only used opti dfi oil until i popped two compressor at under 200 hrs switched to premium plus and that set has 1100 hrs doesn’t skip a beat. I have another one with 389 hrs strictly on premium plus since the beginning no issues with compressor and its an 07 and now this set Has been premium plus previous owner also used premium plus . I just run the cocktail on every fill up. I understand they “ recommend” opti oil but sometimes its not that easy to find locally and since the manual says you can use premium plus as alternative and its easy for me to get is why i continue to run it. Its just my preference. I know you and alot of other wont agree with it.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok... it's your motor, of course, to run what you choose. Of course, I don't think that's really why #6 isn't making power.

Back to Post# 24... update when ALL have been completed precisely as described.

12. Member
    Back to top very interesting did the new fuse blow when motor was ran.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

13. Member

14. Member
    BD74AE4A-AC4D-4486-B171-157632F8F72A.jpegIs that excess oil normal and three different colors

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the engine has been idling a fair amount (especially tilted up), oil puddling in the intake (and on/about #5/#6) is fairly common.

As for colors... that varies significantly (especially in the "blue" shaded oils).

Curious as to how much oil is standing in the crankcase journals of 5-6 (especially 6)....

If you are certain that #6 is not firing I would suggest the following one by one:

Swapping of the spark plug with a known good cylinder.
    Swapping of the coil with a known good cylinder.
    Swapping of the fuel injector with a known good cylinder.
    Swapping of the direct injector with a known good cylinder.

If the problem travels you know whats wrong, but it appears that you have done most of these already.

The popped fuse would happen on a faulty ground of a coil as well. Are you sure they are clean and properly tightened? Maybe one is kinked or corroded but appears good looking?

Does the spark travel to the spark plug? You can easily hear it if your spark plug boot or cable has a pinhole, as its a very characteristic "click,click,click..."

If I read your post right, you have a dual engine setup. Take off the harness from one engine and install it on the other. It looks more complicated than it really is, there is precious little that can be connected wrong when one is careful. I've seen the wires of the fuel injectors break a few times when people took off the cover and replaced it a bunch of times without being careful. Mercury has a replacement set exactly for this scenario.

A timing light or spark tester can easily rule out the spark plug or coil as an issue. If you can get your hands on an old DDT they have a wonderful self-test which cycles through the Direct Injectors, Fuel Injectors and Spark plugs, which makes it dead simple to spot a problem.

My bet would be on an electrical problem, rather than a mechanical.

17. Member
    I'm thinking One Ocean is on the right track since it has pretty good compression.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

18. Member
    73FFA74C-CE55-405B-BD58-FD3E359E475E.jpegDont know if this will give you a better idea of the journals

19. Member
    Is it true that number #6 cylinder / coil does not fire up until its under load. I dont think it would work like that i would think that all all 6 cylinder/coil would fire up even at idle. Maybe im wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast