Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    We will start it off and build one which will most likely float around for dealers to utilize and have some form of a road show.

Guys we really appreciate what Matt and others have said. We all came together when they visited the facility after loosing support of the Fish Boat Holdings (FBH) group, as they had decided to end the life cycle and promotion of Champion. From those first days of our TOC sponsorship we had told them we held a Champion 203 and were considering evolving it depending on what FBH was doing. It was a rough but dry desert boat.

We started this project well over 10 years ago and things from the recession to more volume models took away from our focus. It had a significant amount of money invested in the entire process from buying a model with an engine, tooling and multiple design changes, to several molds, and then to the boat Matt has. Eventually we needed to make a decision on it as it was delayed after others jumped into this niche. The volumes we don’t know for sure, though we are fairly sure as to what they are from multiple data sources we used. It’s not a huge volume and we don’t expect it to be.

In no way do we intend to get in a _____ ing match over Boats and some of the recent activity. We prefer to deal in facts and Always have. We are humbled to have anyone consider our brand, the new hull, or whatever we can help you with. That’s who we are and what we’ve done for decades. Our moves are not directed at any company now in business and the purchase was done, acquiring of the C203, and design process started long before others ever entered the arena.

We had a complete boat long before anyone built another option. We just were not ready to bring it forwards in the original design with challenges we saw. At the time it was but six days from that years dealer meeting when I pulled the plug and decided to shelf it. We had a finished product at that time. The company already had tons of money and expensive staff time in it and I needed to move on or become another defunct statistic. We had to get other product rolling that paid the bills,

We have always told consumers to choose the boat that makes them happy. We don’t need every sale to feed the shop, we just need our share and we’ve managed to get that share over time. The fierce negative we’ve seen in any post is not productive. It hurts either the other posters, or incriminates and questions the credibility of the negative poster. Obviously our production decision to move forward in action stepped on a few nerves, for no reason.

Eventually we will build a boat for our use here and and we will have it ready to show in the coming months.

I totally respect Jim and Joe Doris and I truly consider them friends. Joe and I have shared both long and short conversations on several occasions. Jim couldn't wait to ask me if I saw their Playcraft pontoon on display outside at IBEX three weeks ago. I said yes, and more than that I heard it first and had to look to see what the stereo was in. He said “you should have heard it last night, they cranked it up!” Great guys! I always harass him about living in Florida.

Let your decision be made by what makes you happiest in a boat. It does no one or any company good will if your not pleased with your decision, and we want everyone to be happy with their purchase.

Thank you,

Rick Pierce
    BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 10-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.

2. Member
    One heck of a write up. Bcb sounds like they did it right. They build one heck of a boat and to match it with the champ style hull is going to be awesome! Can’t wait to put some wheel time on one one day!

3. Member
    I will be looking at one after the first of the year. Enjoyed reading the write up.

4. Member
    Congratulations on your boat. I’m normally just a lurker here but have followed your quest for a while. I’m fixin to retire my 1996 191. Nothing rides like a champion in the nasty stuff. Nobody builds a boat these days like BCB. I think yours qualifies for unicorn designation. Congrats again!
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

95% of the fishing I do is by myself. Loading and unloading is a snap, the trailer has a post and steps, which is nice. It really doesn't have the feel of being that much farther forward. I don't feel cramped at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    After fishing all that time in the 202 then switching to the cat platform, how is it adjusting being so much further forward than in a champion 202 while using the trolling motor? Also how is it getting in from the front if you are loading and unloading by yourself? I’ve often wonder this looking at cats and owning nothing but champions.

I came out of a ChampioN as some here know years ago with a 198 I had.
    when I started looking at boats again Bass Cat was my brand I wanted. Mainly for one reason their customer service that I have heard so much about in the past.
    the first thing that I noticed that was a little odd to me was how far forward the TM pedal is. yea it takes some getting used to (about threw myself out a time or two). I was lucky as when I bought my Cougar the first trip in it was a week honeymoon on tablerock so I had ample time to fish out of it right off the get go. after a couple of days fishing out of it..i honestly don't even notice any difference at all in how forward the TM pedal is its just normal for me now. but I love it when it comes to fishing docks and so on.

I was at the latest TOC and got to see Matts boat up close and climb around in it (thanks for that Matt) but I didn't take a ride in it ( have a little issue with being a rider in a boat and im not in control, makes me nervous as hell) but I got to see Matts boat on the water and its a really nice rig and like Matt has said it will give the die hard ChampioN owners a place to go that is familiar for them as far as boats go.

Good Job Rick and the rest of the team. This is why I will always be a Bass Cat guy from now on. How many other manufactures can you see will start a project on a handshake and make it into a reality of not just one person but everyone out there looking for that particular nitch.

Great write up and another excellent job by BCB. I'm not running a Cat but when you read what Mark and Rick wrote you ask yourself why aren't you in a Cat!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Gained a lot of respect for BCB thats for sure. My impression (without much basis or research) was that they were just another boat company, but this is a another reminder that good companies are built by having great people.

Congrats Matt! That's a wicked ride for sure.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

Thanks for sharing

Rick, will their be a "Hybrid" decal added to the boat somewhere to indicate that it is indeed a hybrid? When she's sitting in the water no one will be able to identify it as a hybrid.

^Yup

The models will be:

Puma 203 Hybrid
    Cougar 203 Hybrid

Info on BCB side:
    https://basscat.com/forum/groups/bas...released-wner/

13. Member
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

14. Member
    Great job Matt. Enjoy your new boat!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Quote Originally Posted by POPSLAVAZ View Post
    NOT impressed!!!! IMO

you are SUCH a wet blanket!!!!

Matt,
    thanks for the great write up and so happy for you. I love seeing someone excited about a new rig.

congrats!!

17. Member
    thought I saw pics of the hybrid now cant find them
    oldjigger
    Champion 201
    oldjiggers copperhead jigs

Dick Courser
    Clarksville Mi

Let me say this, My all time favorite ride has been in a Stratos 201 and I've owned 3 for just that reason. Fast, great handling and the smoothest ride in all water conditions, just wish their OAL build quality matched. Other friends I know bought Champs and the Champ ride was smooth, not as smooth but arguably close enough. I ultimately broke and bought a 96 second hand Cat Eyra while my buddy bought a 98 Jag with Mariner 225. I kept that Cat longer than any other boat and it held up better to boot! To my knowledge the 98 Jaguar hull became todays Puma and Cougar and I was not all that impressed with that hull's OAL ride as compared to its near perfect deck layout so I have steered clear of that hull, until now. Nothing against BCB, they are undeniably the best built in the industry and I have been wanting to buy another Cat since I sold that old Eyra but have not had one blow my socks off with ride. This new hybrid has my attention and I can see myself in a Cougar Hybrid.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

20. Member
    I have ridden in this boat and this thing is bad to the bone!! Got the full champion demo ride (minus the breach turn lol) and it has champion blood in it!!
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast