More input needed - carpet over floor repair under console

Interesting discovery. Under the console of my 2000 tr20 it's been built up with and glassed in. There is no gel coat finish under the console. Is this a repair or did Triton send them out like this. Also how do I clean the surface and prep it for the carpet glue or wellwood ?? Seems like best I can do is wire wheel off the loose stuff. Suggestions??

IMG_20191016_123634533.jpg
    ...Greg

I don't think you need to take much more off. Make sure the rubber backing from the old carpet is off don't worry about the old glue at it will regenerate when you put new contact cement on it.

Make sure you mark the holes for the hot foot. It will be very hard to find them after you lay the carpet.

Someone prolly fixed a soft spot...? Id do what was said above and let er rip
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Factory. That’s a big key place where factories tie in the top cap to the hull. Nothing to worry about. That’s original. See it on all makes and models under the consoles.

whew. Thanks Aaron
    ...Greg

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arjone01 View Post
    Factory. That’s a big key place where factories tie in the top cap to the hull. Nothing to worry about. That’s original. See it on all makes and models under the consoles.
    This ^^^

My Nitro was the same under the console, but the material they used to level the area was some kind of Bondo/filler. They used the same stuff to fill around the seat pedestal bases. I sanded it smooth and painted it with epoxy Bilge paint before I installed the new carpet
    IMG_0479.JPG.