Thread: Rub rail issue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I would be making plans to head to the factory to have them take that whole rail assembly off with all the screws and to make sure that cap is down on the hull correctly. You need to find the underlying issue that is causing that.

2. Member
    I have a 2018 205..mine does the same thing especially when its ruff.

3. Banned
    Basscat uses rivets. No issue's

4. Member
    Jamestown Distributors in Bristol,RI sell a special rub rail screw that is designed for bass boats in rough water applications. You might want to check this out on their web site.

5. Member
    I emailed them and this was their response "Hello Jarrett, I am not aware of a screw that is specific to rub rail, but I have included link to our fastener page on our website below. This lists all of the fasteners that we carry.
    Thank you and have a great day."

Could you send the link to what your speaking of? Id love to check it out!
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scum_frog View Post
    I emailed them and this was their response "Hello Jarrett, I am not aware of a screw that is specific to rub rail, but I have included link to our fastener page on our website below. This lists all of the fasteners that we carry.
    Thank you and have a great day."

Could you send the link to what your speaking of? Id love to check it out!
    They should be sending you to the nearest dealer to have them take care of it for you.

7. Member
    Scum-frog, the first thing I would do would be talk to Falcon but if getting your boat down there is impossible I would try these screws after I took some chopped fiberglass and epoxy and filled the existing holes that the screws keep backing out of. I would then re-drill the holes to the proper size and use Simpson Strong-Tie T10J100PXC #10 x 1 Stainless Pan Head Marine Screws. It must be the screws bill-duffy was describing. They are specifically designed not to back out in fiberglass. I personally would do the whole rub rail over.

8. Member
    Falcon is willing to fix the portion of the rub rail having the issue I guess....idk....I'd like the entire thing to come off glued and put back on correctly because the screws back out all over the boat....oh well i guess....

fuel thanks for the info....what size screws did you go with?
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

9. Banned
    Falcon is willing to fix the portion of the rub rail having the issue I guess....idk....I'd like the entire thing to come off glued and put back on correctly because the screws back out all over the boat....oh well i guess....

fuel thanks for the info....what size screws did you go with?
    That's kind of off-putting that they won't fix the entire rub rail. Like you I'd want the entire rail pulled and all the screws properly installed. They built it, they built it wrong, they should fix it properly.

10. Member
    You going to have to run it all the way to SC?

Them not wanting to repair it properly makes me hesitant to keep them on the list for a future boat. This isn't the only boat that is having this problem so they really should be stepping up to fix this IMO.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Yea I am kinda of let down to be honest. He said if I wanted to run it down to them they would fix that portion of the rub rail unless I trusted someone local and if he spoke to them he would decide if they would be willing to help or not since it isnt a warranty fix? I didnt really want to make the 21 hour round trip if it can be done locally. I would have thought it would of been a simple yes take off the rub rail fix it the proper way and get it taken care of. Not fix the small section? IDK we shall see when the time comes and rub rail comes off on that section what my local place says and what he can do about getting it done right. I think im taking fuel up on those screws though and installing them instead. I sure do like the design of those teeth to help on it not backing out!

On a side note I fished a small club tourney this past wknd on an inland reservoir in the Columbus area and everyone was standing around their boats talking it up and you should of seen the faces on those guys when I pulled it.....everyone quit talking and was staring at the Falcon and gave a head nod. Even my partner thought it was funny because a group of guys was standing around Pro Charlie Hartley who was there and they all stopped and said nice boat. That alone usually makes ya forget about the rub rail and give them a good fly by on the take off ;) Still love my boat just want it taken care of!

Yea I am kinda of let down to be honest. He said if I wanted to run it down to them they would fix that portion of the rub rail unless I trusted someone local and if he spoke to them he would decide if they would be willing to help or not since it isnt a warranty fix? I didnt really want to make the 21 hour round trip if it can be done locally. I would have thought it would of been a simple yes take off the rub rail fix it the proper way and get it taken care of. Not fix the small section? IDK we shall see when the time comes and rub rail comes off on that section what my local place says and what he can do about getting it done right. I think im taking fuel up on those screws though and installing them instead. I sure do like the design of those teeth to help on it not backing out!

On a side note I fished a small club tourney this past wknd on an inland reservoir in the Columbus area and everyone was standing around their boats talking it up and you should of seen the faces on those guys when I pulled it.....everyone quit talking and was staring at the Falcon and gave a head nod. Even my partner thought it was funny because a group of guys was standing around Pro Charlie Hartley who was there and they all stopped and said nice boat. That alone usually makes ya forget about the rub rail and give them a good fly by on the take off ;) Still love my boat just want it taken care of!
    how for are you from Vics sport center? he should be able to hook you up so that rail doesn't come off again. maybe he can send the bill back to Falcon since it should be a warranty issue
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    I spoke with Falcon a few times and unfortunately they do not consider this a warranty issue somehow?

15. Banned
    I spoke with Falcon a few times and unfortunately they do not consider this a warranty issue somehow?
    When things are falling off a 2 year old or less boat I'd say that's a quality issue that occurred during construction. Them not willing to address an obvious factory construction issue just made me take them off my new boat list.

16. Member
    I know it doesn’t make you feel any better. But, my dad chewed up my rub rail a few weeks ago on an old dock at Lake of the Ozarks giving demo rides. I got a new rub rail and it’s $300 installed. It’s $500 round trip for me to drive 13 hours to the factory and back home. So, it’s actually probably cheaper to eat it and put new screws in than to take it to the factory to have it fixed. It still stinks and I feel bad as that was my boat and I didn’t have that issue when I had it. I’m going to have them check the screws on my 2019 when I have them put the new rub rail on. That being said, if that’s the worst issue, it’s an easy fix and not super expensive. When adding a power pole is $1800 per side, some screws and a rub rail are pretty cheap! I know this doesn’t make you feel better. But, it’s all about perspective!

17. Member
    scum-frog. I have no issue with my rub rail at all. I have pounded the crap out of this boat on Champlain and have had zero problems. Hope I didn't say something that led you to think I had the same issue, I don't. Got a feeling that someone at the factory installing the rail may of used the wrong size drill bit or who knows because it really isn't rocket science to keep this situation from happening or continuing. The screw size I believe would be #10 x 1". Take one of your screws out and see what they use for size and your option would be to go up one size in diameter or fill the pre-existing holes with epoxy/glass and drill for the size #10. Not sure what size options are available in this specialty screw?

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Them not wanting to repair it properly makes me hesitant to keep them on the list for a future boat. This isn't the only boat that is having this problem so they really should be stepping up to fix this IMO.
    Yep - same here. It is disconcerting.

19. Banned
    Something as simple and cheap to fix as a rub rail, and they deny responsibility. What would their response be if it was something like a hull delaminating.

Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about the company.

20. Member
    Rude, ya im not angry at the issue.....its just annoying of the constant fix....then this last time with the screw backing so far out and doing fiberglass damage that kind of irked me the wrong way lol. I just dont like the fact that if I didnt keep pressing the issue on how I wanted it fixed and its a problem then Falcon was going to do ZERO help until I kept forcing the issue. They kept telling me to do it myself and try to fix it myself because they will only do the same thing as to what I can do myself? I know im capable of doing it but I feel like thats not my job to fix a hull issue thats a known issue with them? IDK.....we will see how it goes this winter when it goes in and gets "fixed" and we will see how much of the rub rail actually gets corrected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast