3D vs 3-in-1 transducers

Which transducer is better: 3D module/transducer or Active 3-1? I’m looking for the clearest side scanning images. I’ve heard one has more crystals than the other and mixed feedback on both. I have both and debating which to install.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    Better for what? That is the question.

Obviously, 3-in-1 AI won't do 3D, so you give that up straight away.
    I think the AI and 3D have pretty similar capabiliites on Side Scan, there are a few posts around which have made comparisons, and show the results people have obtained. Install and SW version seem to be significant variables too. What Head Unit are you connecting to. Do you really want the 3-in-1 or is the 2-in-1 enough and you will shoot the 2D through the hull?

Check these threads for some real world images.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=957536
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=990165
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    Thanks for the links.I was trying to sift through the search function and wasn't finding a lot ofwhat I was looking for.

I've got a Carbon 12 (console) and Carbon 9 (bow). Ipreviously had a LSS2 and standard puck so I’m not worried about using the SS3Dw/2nd puck vs. 3-1. I'm not necessarily convinced of the value/use of the 3Dview/rendering option. I'm mainly looking for better side scan imaging.

4. Member
    3in1 shows biggest detalis than 3D= more detail on close range, 3D shows more area- 250ft per side is possible , zooming looks better

5. Member
    Right, SS3D has more range, that is probably the biggest asset.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Member
    I have used both on carbon 9’s, and I can say the SS3d is better. Side scan is similar with the 3-1 being slightly more detailed, but it doesn’t have near the range of the SS3d. Also I find the SS3d does a better job at picking up fish/shadows compared to the 3-1. Another thing to consider and to me this was a major deciding factor was the Dow scab on the 3D is significantly better than the down scan on the 3-1.