Thread: Black Lake

Black Lake

Just got back from a week long trip up to the lake. Been going up for a few years now at the same time and this year was the worst. We could not find the fish anywhere. We tried everything and just couldn't get a pattern together. We even ran over to the river and still struggled.....I was not expecting that. From what I'm reading and hearing its the same way all over. Maybe things picked up but the lake seems to get fished hard more this time of year than in past years. Hope things pick up or be going salmon fishing instead next year!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    I was up at Oneida last week, and the fishing was so bad over two days that we decided to drive 100 miles to fish Black Lake in the hopes of catching more than 2 or 3 fish. Yes, Black Lake did not fish as well as I am accustomed, but I was able to catch some quality smallmouth. It certainly was fishing better than Oneida.

Quote Originally Posted by woo602 View Post
    I was up at Oneida last week, and the fishing was so bad over two days that we decided to drive 100 miles to fish Black Lake in the hopes of catching more than 2 or 3 fish. Yes, Black Lake did not fish as well as I am accustomed, but I was able to catch some quality smallmouth. It certainly was fishing better than Oneida.
    We picked up a few smallies at the beginning of out trip but that shut right down. I have to say that every fish we caught were FAT! So they were eating just not what we were throwing. LOL
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I've been going to Black since the mid 70's and for the last 30+ years go the second week in Sept. This year by far was the slowest fishing in all that time. One day (7 hrs.) we didn't get a bite. My head hurt from scratching.....

5. Member
    It maybe from the 5000 fish eating Cormorants flying around. I really don’t know why they’re protected but they need to be thinned out. This has to happen to protect our fisheries.

6. Member
    Some effect, but they're not eating 4 pounders

I have been fishing the lake for 13 years. Imho, They need to put a slot limit on the bass period. 12"-15'. Anything bigger or smaller release. I've seen so many big fish harvested over the years. 5-6# pound bass take so many years to grow up north. It breaks my heart seeing a 3-5lber go to the fish cleaning shack. The lake is still incredible but the numbers and size of bass has declined every year. Hopefully the DEC will move on a slot limit soon.
    '00 Gambler Outlaw / \'02 200 EFI