Garmin / Boat Questions From a New Guy

Hi all,

Came here for some thoughts and some help from more seasoned fishermen. Long story short bought a boat from Cabelas. Ranger Z175. Came with Hook2 5 in the console and I have a hard time reading it. In hull transducer located in the back.

First thing I bought was a Garmin Echomaps 7SV. Put it just to the right of the Hook2 and mounted the transducer on the transom (under the offset to the right of the motor since I am using it for Clearvu and Sidevu. It has the CV52 Transducer. So now I use the Lowrance for depth and some 2d traditional whilst running the boat fast and use the Garmin 7SV for trolling / Clearvu and Sidevu.

I came into a Garmin Echomaps 9SV last night with the maps, etc. Was thinking I was going to mount it to the bow and install the GT52 transducer on the trolling motor Minn Kota PowerDrive v2 with iPilot, spotlock and all that stuff. The plan is when I can to purchase the Panoptix Livescope and mount it on a seperate drop mount like some people are doing because of the spotlock. Also when I have the cash to replace the 7sv with a 9 or larger.

1. Should I do anything different?
    2. Should I link the 9sv up front to the 7sv at the console?
    3. Do I need a transducer up front if I'm going to get livescope?
    4. How would you configure and would you do anything different?
    5. Transducer mounting ... the 7sv and the CV52 ducer is mounted (by me) on the transom. Would it be beneficial since I'm using it for DI and SI to "level it" while on the boat (seen a couple of youtube videos that say it should be leveled while load in the boat).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

3. Member

Thumbs Up

Absolutely take the time and level your transducer. I would put the gt52 on my transom in place of the cv52. The downvu will be much better on the GT52. If you have Livescope, I don't see any reason to run another transducer up front. If they are plus units, network them. Nothing to lose! And you can share maps, wps, etc that way.
    Also. Livescope only works with echomap plus. Make sure they are before you drop the money on it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Absolutely take the time and level your transducer. I would put the gt52 on my transom in place of the cv52. The downvu will be much better on the GT52. If you have Livescope, I don't see any reason to run another transducer up front. If they are plus units, network them. Nothing to lose! And you can share maps, wps, etc that way.
    Also. Livescope only works with echomap plus. Make sure they are before you drop the money on it.
    Thanks for the information sir! They are in fact Echomaps Plus versions. So if no need for the transducer on front if I get LiveScope, then I will take off the CV52 and put on the GT52, run the larger screen either up front or on the console, then link them.
    Appreciate your response. Now ... more than likely I will put all this on, realize I want even bigger screens, then switch out the screens come bonus time.

5. Member
    I'd disagree with SamMule about not mounting two transducers. IMO, having a seperate transducer on your trolling motor is going to be absolutely essential if you want to get any use out of your sonar while fishing from the bow... the transom transducer is 18 feet behind where you are standing. Plus, sounds like you have both transducers already, so I can't really think of any reason at all to just leave one wasting away in your garage.

I've got a 93SV (GT52) in the helm (transom mounted) and 73CV on the bow (think its a gt22 transducer, not sure off the top of my head.) The bow unit can pull sonar off the rear transducer if I want it to, but IMO much more useful to know what your standing on top of. Can look at sidevu from the rear transducer on the bow as well.

Garmin units literally network together with an ethernet cable, so you should definitely network them together. For a $20 cable there is just no downside to it.

Since you don't have LiveScope yet, definitely go ahead and mount up both transducers. Even when you do have it, AFAIK the LiveScope ducer only does LiveScope stuff, so if for some reason you did want traditional sonar on the bow, you'd be missing out. Plus, again, AFAIK, but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't want to mount the LiveScope on the TM. If you're trying to spotlock and fish, your view will be constantly changing in whatever direction the TM is facing.

So to wrap it all together:
    93 on bow and 73 on console seems like a perfectly fine allocation of resources to me.
    I'd put the GT52 on the transom and your CV52 on the trolling motor. Most of the time you want sidevu / downvu you're probably using your big motor and doing some graphing looking for yummy brush piles etc., and when your on the bow on the trolling motor the sidevu isn't very useful since its constantly swerving around as you turn your TM. IMO, if you have two transducers, you may as well mount them now.
    Definitely, definitely, definitely get an ethernet cable and network the two units together. Garmin sells some fancy marine-capable ethernet cables ("Garmin Network Cable" or some crap like that I think) that is pretty pricey but will definitely be tough enough for the job. You should probably get the 20footer.
    When you do get livescope, I think using the independent mount for it like you suggested is the ticket.

Good luck!! Check out the ActiveCaptain app once your all set up too, super helpful always having my charts in my pocket

6. Member
    Thanks Juan, appreciate the input. I know it doesn't hurt to put the CV ducer up front, I mean why not. To be honest if I don't do that I can almost 99.9% guarantee it will end up in a drawer in my garage .... some to think about here.

So in a new twist ... the wife said to go ahead and just get the LiveScope because she'd really like me to get better at finding fish for her to catch ... I dont know how I feel about that statement ...