Thread: Flu shot

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Flu shot

Man this one is an arse kicker..

Been lucky I guess as I've never had any issue with soreness etc. A lot of people think you can get the flu from the shot but that is 100% false and impossible. A person might have picked up a bug while in waiting room prior to the shot but the shot itself cannot give you the flu.

The wife and I got them last week. No problems. The wife gets the high dose shot and a lot of places were out until later this week or next. Usually get them in Sep but I forgot.

Got one at work a few weeks ago and lucky also with no issues.

5. Member
    The only problem with the flu shot is it is only 50% effective and some years less.
    But I getting to a point I think I'm going to start getting the shot and hope I never get the Flu.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Been lucky I guess as I've never had any issue with soreness etc. A lot of people think you can get the flu from the shot but that is 100% false and impossible. A person might have picked up a bug while in waiting room prior to the shot but the shot itself cannot give you the flu.
    Hmmm....we are forced to get the flu shot or wear a mask for 8 hours while at work (hosp.) if we refuse, we are terminated...one year, after getting the shot a week earlier, myself and several other employees missed work for a whole week only after we tested positive (swab) for flu...i guess it could have been a different strain?

We are waiting for them to do them at school right now. Never had any issues except for a little soreness for a couple hours afterwards.

8. Banned
    I usually get one every year since they give them here at work but won't do it this year. Last year I got sick as a dog the week after the shot. never had any issues before but last year I thought I was going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    Hmmm....we are forced to get the flu shot or wear a mask for 8 hours while at work (hosp.) if we refuse, we are terminated...one year, after getting the shot a week earlier, myself and several other employees missed work for a whole week only after we tested positive (swab) for flu...i guess it could have been a different strain?

The flu shots are formulated based on the most prevalent strains for each season but it is not 100% effective against all strains. My point was the shot itself CANNOT give you the flu. It might not protect you from other strains but it will not itself cause the flu.

10. Member
    Got mine 2 weeks ago and it was the first time for the high dose shot, given to those that are 65 or older. When they administered the shot in the doctors office, they said there could be a slight reaction to the high dose shot. Did have a reaction (soreness, slight stomach issues and unfortunately some diarrhea). Not severe and was off my game for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Yes. I always laugh at the people that think the flu shot is for the stomach flu also. One thing I've learned is if you're right handed get the shot in your right arm. Tends to be way less sore because you move it more.

12. Member
    Got mine last week and no issues.

I had a little soreness. My wife had none. Denser muscles tend to be more sore from injections.
    And before someone starts, THE FLU SHOT WILL NOT GIVE YOU THE FLU!
    You may still get the flu, but it won’t be because you got a flu shot. They can’t possibly cover ever strain with one shot, so as Mark saiid, they formulate each year’s shot to cover the most prevalent strains.
    There is, however, a chance the shot contains a microscopic tracker so the government can watch our every move by satellite.
    There’s a higher probability of that then you getting the flu from a flu shot.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    I have been lucky at our hospital we don't force the flu shots, we actually had doctors come to our health system because of other places terminating them because of no flu shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    I have been lucky at our hospital we don't force the flu shots, we actually had doctors come to our health system because of other places terminating them because of no flu shot.
    It should always be a personal decision to get it or not and I do not begrudge anyone not getting one. I do though think the myth about the shot causing the flu is simply false and would hope no one would choose not to get one because of that.

16. Member
    Need to get mine. Im 44 now, and can tell my immune system is not what it once was.

17. Member
    I wish they made a cold shot. Knock on wood I'd never had the flu, but have had some nasty colds this current one included. Even with Nyquil I can't sleep worth a crap. I'd love to get a shot to prevent them. I was actually going to get my flu shot Sunday but then I got this cold and couldn't get it.

My daughter can't get her flu shot until 6 months old (4 months now) so its even more important I get mine this year but I always get it every year anyways.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

58 yo, never get the flu shot. I do wear a seat belt in my truck and a life jacket/kill switch in my boat when the big motor is on!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

19. Member
    Haven't gotten the flu shot yet, still up in the air on it. I got them for several years and each year I got the flu anyway. I stopped getting them and haven't had an issue - I know I didn't get the flu from the shot but it seems like the hassle of getting the shot was for nothing. I have a horrible cold right now that I picked up last week. I work from home most of the time so I have somewhat limited exposure but last week I was at my company's annual conference and there were over 700 people in addition to the airport and the flight there. I'm just hoping to kick this cold before I fly out again on Sunday...
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

20. Member
    Last April, the rehab hospital that I was at had had a man I thought had a major stroke. I asked his wife and she said he had the flu. I never would have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Sitting in a wheel chair on oxygen and it was all he could do to lift his feet 4" in the air. Mid 40s but looked like he was 90 years old
    He was there 1 month before I was there. I was there 3 weeks and he was still there after I left. GET THE SHOT everyone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast