Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Very curious to see if any MLF/BPT anglers return to BASS as well.
    Likewise.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    I had a hard enough time trying to get my head around the Cup/Summit format, which title tx I was watching, and trying to follow the dragged out competition, that I simply stopped watching it. I tried to follow FLW, but I lost almost all interest after the Canucks left. The loss of the FLW Cup, which I watched, seels the exodus for me this coming year. The six day format in the new FLW/BPT is just too much. I simply don't have time to watch 6 days of competition, especially when they will force the MLF format down my throat for the last 3 days. Someone mentioned that it was like resetting the score to 0-0 at half time. That's just retarded, unless there is a decent payout for the first three days, and another for the Minnow League Fishing division. I started watching BASS on TNN many moons ago, and loved it. I'm not averse to change, but I like the 5 big fish format, simply because I fish for big fish. I can go out and catch dinks all day long. There is no challenge in that.

Now that WFN has disappeared in Canada and the Sportsman's Channel is an extra subscription, I can only watch streamed tx's. Having said that, most of the streams buffer and lock up, so being retired, I simply go out fishing instead... for big fish.

Cox:
    “The new format is not something I feel like I’d do well at, but I would like to try it out,” Cox said. “It would be so cool to do the Elites and do the FLW ones, even without practice. I don’t want to hate on it because I haven’t fished it, but I’m just glad to have both opportunities. I’m excited about both schedules and if the schedules stay the same, I would only miss one (FLW) tournament. If you’re willing to pay an entry and not show up for one, who cares. You’re not stranding a co-angler or anything like that. For me, that would be ideal. That way, I can try the new format and see if it works for me and still be able to do what I love to do.”

Read more: http://bassfan.com/news_article/9758...#ixzz62WVR3u4w

It's too bad you don't like the MLF format, it sounds like you would dominate there if you can catch dinks all day long. I can see where the biggest 5 is more of a challenge for you.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    He said that if he fished the Elites and FLW next year as both current 2020 schedules stand, that he would only miss one FLW event. Meaning, paying the 5k entry, and not fishing it.
    Ahhh. Got it. Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ST8Bugging View Post
    Question. It was just touched on a bit by BassCatKev.

Do sponsors have much say in where an angler fishes? Are their contracts set up that in depth?
    I watched an interview with Scott Canterbury and he said his sponsors encouraged and supported him to move to the Elites from FLW last year. Since he won AOY that was a pretty smart decision.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bschwoep View Post
    I thought I read an article saying BASS would like the to get the elite field back to around 100 eventually but I could be wrong.
    Yes Dave Precht said that last year, last I heard the Elites next year were only expanding from 75 to 85 and those 10 are coming from the opens.

6. Banned
    Sponsor pushing pros one way or the other may just be their way of keeping a presence on both tours... Or they maybe taking sides with whom they perceive to be the ultimate winner in the low stake game of chicken... No tour is gonna refuse to take sponsorship money from anyone. Good way to make enemies... Heck, even Al created a Ballistic Boat page... Dan

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Shows Cox is a Money fishermen if he is willing to let 5k go down the drain to fish another tour. Going to be fun to watch. Wonder if Ish will try it. He did 2 tours when you could.
    Ish didn't qualify for the Elites this year. Wonder if they would allow him to fish the new FLW though? Duckett sounded open ended about BPT guys fishing the FLW circuit, I don't think that would be fair to the Costa guys though...
    Last edited by bossbowman; 10-16-2019 at 10:13 AM.

8. Member
    My best guess is that the sponsors like to have an even or close to even percentage presence across the board in all the tours. When that balance becomes out of whack they would naturally like to see newcomers who are showing promise to go where they may be needed to balance the presence of sponsors. My guess is last years major defections and this years purchase of FLW may have thrown everything out of balance and the sponsors are trying to get back to a balance..

9. Banned
    John Cox will do very well in the Elites.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Smart guy to try to do both, I could see him staying in the top 100 of FLW even with missing that one tourney.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Yes he will.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Smart guy to try to do both, I could see him staying in the top 100 of FLW even with missing that one tourney.
    Is he married or have any kids ? I agree if he can fish both thats smart.. But my god that would be a lot of travel. I used to travel a lot and it gets old fast but I guess these guys are used to it.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Is he married or have any kids ? I agree if he can fish both thats smart.. But my god that would be a lot of travel. I used to travel a lot and it gets old fast but I guess these guys are used to it.
    I think he has a GF and a couple of kids

Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    I watched an interview with Scott Canterbury and he said his sponsors encouraged and supported him to move to the Elites from FLW last year. Since he won AOY that was a pretty smart decision.
    Yep, the field was considerably weakened with the departure of most of the big guns to the BPT. Good time to join the Elite field.
    Last edited by Quillback; 10-16-2019 at 10:55 AM.

15. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I hope Cox does fish the Elites. Very curious to see if any MLF/BPT anglers return to BASS as well.
    Remember they signed a 3 year contract. Guess they could go back to FLW since it is the same organization. Can't see the allure of the Elites except the Classic. Less money payout. If they do away with the 2.5k participation money it sill cost more than FLW.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Remember they signed a 3 year contract. Guess they could go back to FLW since it is the same organization. Can't see the allure of the Elites except the Classic. Less money payout. If they do away with the 2.5k participation money it sill cost more than FLW.
    I fully understand they signed a 3 year contract but there is also a buyout option if you leave early which leaves that door open. Again as I stated I am curious to see if any return to BASS. I'll leave the comparing the trails against each other to other folks. I was just saying I'm curious to see if any leave for BASS. Nothing less, nothing more.

17. Banned
    Ain't no door open it theres a non-compete in that contract unless they just want to sit on the sidelines for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
    Ain't no door open it theres a non-compete in that contract unless they just want to sit on the sidelines for a few seasons.
    No offense but I would not take anything you post about it as valid in regards to a non compete. You nor I have seen a contract or know anything except what we read about it.

If some of them want to leave, they should let them. Why keep them around if they want to leave? They'll have no problem finding replacements.

20. Banned
    They have a NDA why would they not have a non-compete, extremely common among competing companies...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast