Thread: Hole Grmmett

Hole Grmmett

I’m going to drill a hole in my boat to route a transducer cable. I’ve been looking for a grommet or something similar to put in the hole to finish. I’ve found some grommets at my local hardware store but they are for use in thin material like sheet metal.

Where can I find a grommet that will work in thicker material like the one in the photo?

883F2F5B-561F-4A0B-8366-AFE18643010D.jpeg

2. Member
    McMasterr-Carr, but may have to buy more than 1. Did you try boat manufacturer?

3. Member
    West Marine or Boat Owners Warehouse. If I was home I would go to one of the local stores and get some for you. I’m not back until next week.

I use a desk grommet. I laminate a piece of rubber to the grommet and split it to run the cable through.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I bought grommets at Lowe’s for a similar project when I drilled a hole to run Ethernet cables thru the inside wall under the console..
    Hardware section in the bins with specialty fasteners. Found a 1” diameter grommet that was sized perfectly to fit the thickness of fiberglass where I drilled. Tractor Supply is another good source for various sizes, thickness of rubber grommets.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    I used a through hull fitting and marine epoxied the edge of the fiberglass to try and make sure I didn't get any water intrusion in between the glass layers.

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Hey thanks to all for the suggestions.

8. Member

9. Member
    Th marine cable grommet. 2"