Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Alright, I took the boat out this morning and first thing was check the oil level and it's at about 3/4 in the safe zone. I've had my motor vertical since it's been freezing overnight this past week. I opened the cowling and looked around inside again but not seeing anything obvious still. I raised the motor and looked around the trim cylinder and rod. Oil free all around. There's a yellowish cap near the bottom of the cylinder but it was on tight and solid. No signs of any leak.

Then these 2 beads caught my eye. Looks like oil to me. Or maybe oil separation from the grease? You guys tell me. It was pretty thick but then again, it was 40 degrees this morning. See how it's plump on the paper towel.

I couldnt tell where it was coming from. I didn't see a trail for it but I was on the port side. I looked underneath the gap on the top drip and I just assumed it came from inside there somewhere.

Got to the lake and launched. Got the same slick when I started the motor.

When I finished up and got backed onto the trailer and was putting things away, I thought maybe I should check the oil drain plug. I see the inside of the plug has a bit of foam in it. Is this unusual? I got my wrench and gave it a quick turn. It was on pretty tight already. It did tighten just a tiny bit. Maybe a few degrees only. I didn't want to overtighten it since it felt pretty snug.

I found out last week my local dealer is closing up that location. They are consolidating to their main store on the other side of the state. Went from 1 hr trip to now would be 4 hrs if I need to get my Vexus service. Very annoyed by that. But what I understand is, any certified mercury dealer can service the motor. There is 1 about 10 mins from me but I just feel more comfortable with a Vexus dealer doing it incase the issue is with rigging of the boat and what not instead/too.

2. Member
    Just take a too the close Mercury dealer and let them take care of it prob has nothing to do with rigging

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Which seals? Motor has 8.3 hrs on it
    Sorry about the late reply but on my motor the seal at the top of the football where the drive shaft vertically enters was leaking oil. The mechanic drained the oil from the lower unit and performed a pressure test that diagnosed the problem.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Might be best to take this over to the Mercury motor forum.

Just post the issue with the serial number of your motor.

5. Member
    It's parked outside in gravel/ground mix. So if it's a small drip, I'm not going to be able to tell.

Where are these compressor hoses? Inside the cowling?
    sorry late reply but yes compressor is inside the cowling.
    top of the motor
    BTW the oil drip on your photo looks like mine.
    take it to the dealer and show the photos to them they should be able to fix it

6. Member
    Dropped off the boat at the local Mercury dealer. Before I left, I did a once around and found this drop forming at the tip of the oil drain. There wasn't any other sign of oil anywhere else. So it's a very slow drip, been sitting since Weds evening.

The same drop was still there when I got to the shop about 10 mins away.

Pointed it out to them when I got there.

We shall see what they say. Apparently they are booked for about a week before they touch mine by they say first come first serve, so no appointment for when they are ready. Gonna put that polyurea to the test I guess on their yard.

7. Member
    Looks like it's coming from the drain.
    Probably a bad seal.

8. Member
    Mercury dealer just called. They confirmed it's leaking from the drain and it's covered under warranty. Ordered the parts, should receive in 3-4 days.

9. Member
    Good deal! Glad they found the leak and that it’s covered under warranty. You’ll be back on the water soon.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

10. Member
    Good deal

11. Member
    Wanted to update this thread. I finally got word today my motor is fixed. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. The shop has had it longer than me lol. But glad this is over with.

In short, it kept leaking after the shop fixed the drain. They went back and forth with Mercury on what's the next step. Mercury confirmed a few bad oil sump with the 115. Got that replaced and dealer said it's all good now. All covered under warranty.

So dropped off on 11/1. Will be picking up on 1/9.

12. Member
    Wanted to update this thread. I finally got word today my motor is fixed. I'll be able to pick it up tomorrow. The shop has had it longer than me lol. But glad this is over with.

In short, it kept leaking after the shop fixed the drain. They went back and forth with Mercury on what's the next step. Mercury confirmed a few bad oil sump with the 115. Got that replaced and dealer said it's all good now. All covered under warranty.

Sorry to hear about your ideal, I followed this thread closely since we have the same motors I think. Thankfully your dealer has resolved the issue and you can FINALLY enjoy your boat.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

What "drain" are you talking about? I have a Yamaha SHO with similar oil sheen behind the boat. I've redone my trim and tilt sub assemblies. Not sure the next step. I don't visually see oil anywhere when it's dry, but as soon as I put the boat in the water, I have the sheen that follows me.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
    What "drain" are you talking about? I have a Yamaha SHO with similar oil sheen behind the boat. I've redone my trim and tilt sub assemblies. Not sure the next step. I don't visually see oil anywhere when it's dry, but as soon as I put the boat in the water, I have the sheen that follows me.
    The drain shown in the picture is the oil drain plug to drain your oil when doing an oil change. you hook a hose up to it and run it into a container. Then loosen the plug in the picture and oil comes out of it.

For me, it wasn't the drain itself but the oil sump inside. If you see a sheen, you have a leak somewhere.

15. Member

There's a guy on youtube with a tracker who had the exact same issue and was told the same about the oil pan. Glad you're fixed up now. Took him some months to get it sorted too.

16. Member
    My 150 blew a seal in the gear casing. It leaked gear lube out of the intake holes in the nose of the gear case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12