Need to replace my on-board charger.

Need to replace my on-board charger.

Probably going to purchase a KOTA MK440PC

Any reason to consider the KOTA MK440D?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    Weight. And more control of the charging process. My 330D just had a bank crap out on me. I am going to the 330pc.

3. Member
    If you are considering lithium in the future the d is not good but the PC is.

4. Member
    Neither of those.....

I would go for with the promariner prosport gen3. A great charger and for around 160dollars. Love the distributed on demand feature. And while other guys at the motels are having issues because of lowvoltage with the Kota's my promariner still works. Great charger for the money!! The promariner has lasted longer than my two different kota chargers combined.
    I am biased though,,After float charge overvoltage and 2 boiled batteries and different failures, I am done with min kota chargers.
    The only other one I may consider is the NOCO.

Thanks Brian but I'm looking for a 4 bank. Considered the Promariner Pro Tournament but pricing was close to 500 every where I looked. Not spending that on a charger. Noco looked at but found just as many complaints as any other. I want 4 bank and 10 amps per bank.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Thanks Brian but I'm looking for a 4 bank. Considered the Promariner Pro Tournament but pricing was close to 500 every where I looked. Not spending that on a charger. Noco looked at but found just as many complaints as any other. I want 4 bank and 10 amps per bank.
    Hmmm ok,, I though you were looking for a 3bank,,hence 330. My eyes must be deceiving me..LOL..unless you edited your post?

a no edit I didn't have 330 always said 440.

doesn't say edited either. but thanks anyway.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    a no edit I didn't have 330 always said 440.

doesn't say edited either. but thanks anyway.
    I guess off to the eye doctor!

My boat came with the MK-440-PC. It broke off while traveling down the highway. I found it laying in the bottom of the bilge when I got to where I was going. The entire casing is plastic, so it's gonna break eventually. Unfortunately, that's the only charger I can find that will fit in my boat at that location.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    My boat came with the MK-440-PC. It broke off while traveling down the highway. I found it laying in the bottom of the bilge when I got to where I was going. The entire casing is plastic, so it's gonna break eventually. Unfortunately, that's the only charger I can find that will fit in my boat at that location.
    Just wondering how was it mounted?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

11. Member
    My 460pc has an aluminum frame that has the mounting holes top and bottom which is also the heat sink. I used 10 bolts. How was your attached? Bob
    I looked up your 440, if that is plastic it sure looks like a poor design! I hope they have changed that since 2015. I doubt the will help you out but would call Minn Mota and look for a discount or something. Good luck Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 10-17-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    I would go with the MK (PC series), or DP (Sportsmen or Pro Series). With either of those, you are covering all bases for the future, including the ability to charge all popular AGM's properly, and the ability to consider lithiums.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Well after a heads up by a fellow BBC 'er linked me a good price on the Promariner Elite 360 it's back in the mix.

Now under consideration:
    The Promariner Elite 360 is a 4 bank @ 9 amp per bank. 2 year warranty but can't be repaired if it dies. Can charge a mix of standard flooded deep cycle and a AGM Start battery. I talked with tech support and was advised there and three profiles available on this charger and use the insert that matches the charge profile for the AGM battery and the standard deep cycles will be fine with any AGM profile. But this charger does not offer a battery equalization program like the Minn-Kota option. But I have one of those shop chargers that I can get enough amps out of to do that but will be a little more work on my part because it would be one battery at a time. I know this one will fit in the space I have.

Or

The Minn-Kota 440 PC is a 4 bank @ 10 amp per bank. 3 year warranty. Repairable ??? not sure I didn't call them I was able to access all the information but forgot to check that. Can charge a mix of standard flooded deep cycle and a AGM Start battery. Also charges all battery types but does offer a battery equalization option. But from what I have read I was under the impression it takes more than 10 amps to do that so it may work the charger a little hard. Might be better doing in manually like the other option anyway.

Pricing is close on both units if you can find it. Thanks for the link BBC 'er!

Season is closing around here and I've been charging the batteries manually (PITR) but pricing history seems to be lowest around Christmas so I guess the Champion gets a present this year! Gives me time to research for a final decision.

Yes, I would install lithium's to reduce weight would be nice but my boat jumps on plane within 3 seconds with a heavy load and will hit mid 70's in cool air so I'm pretty happy with that I don't run it that hard much. I get about 5-7 years out of my deep cycles. Maybe when pricing gets more competitive.

Thanks for reading and participating!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"