Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Consumer Reports ratings for ‘18 and ‘19 models are Ford, Dodge, Chevy/GMC in that order for overall score.
    Rated by Road a Test results (real world and test track driving conditions) Dodge was rated highest, followed closely by Chevy/GMC, and then Ford.
    Rated by Reliability results For 1/2 ton trucks, Toyota was rated Above Average, Ford as Average, Dodge and Chevy Below Average.
    Personally, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of those listed. Just pick the one you like, and have it checked out by a reputable mechanic if you buy Used.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Personally I would suggest a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost from 2017 or 2018 so its the gen2 version with the 10 speed for the years you list. A great combination which will do everything need and more.

Up here those model years of used trucks are going for +/-$3,500.00 less than new off-the-lot trucks once you take the incentives off. I've never understood how dealers actually move newer used trucks with the prices they're asking. I'd go new all day long if that was the model year range I was looking for.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Up here those model years of used trucks are going for +/-$3,500.00 less than new off-the-lot trucks once you take the incentives off. I've never understood how dealers actually move newer used trucks with the prices they're asking. I'd go new all day long if that was the model year range I was looking for.
    100% agree, I purchase new because of this just keeping my answer within the guidelines the OP asked about.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I haven't seen anyone give their opinion of the Ford 5.0L Coyote. Here's a video discussing the topic, most of the Ford techs pick the V8 Coyote hands down over the 2.7 or the 3.5 Eco.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I haven't seen anyone give their opinion of the Ford 5.0L Coyote. Here's a video discussing the topic, most of the Ford techs pick the V8 Coyote hands down over the 2.7 or the 3.5 Eco.

That video is several years old. I bet you’d get different answers now.

6. Member
    I'm not familiar with what RAM or GM products to avoid. I would avoid the 2011-2013 Eco boost and 2.7 eco boosts in the Fords.
    After those year models, Both Eco boost models are excellent choices along with the 5.0 V8.

The great thing about choosing a truck in 2019 is you cant go wrong with any of the manufacturers.
    I am a Ford guy. Own a 2014 Eco, 59k miles. Only been to the shop for oil changes and a brake pad change. Right now with the ridiculous prices of trucks, I believe the RAM is the best value for your money.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I'm not familiar with what RAM or GM products to avoid. I would avoid the 2011-2013 Eco boost and 2.7 eco boosts in the Fords.
    After those year models, Both Eco boost models are excellent choices along with the 5.0 V8.

The great thing about choosing a truck in 2019 is you cant go wrong with any of the manufacturers.
    I am a Ford guy. Own a 2014 Eco, 59k miles. Only been to the shop for oil changes and a brake pad change. Right now with the ridiculous prices of trucks, I believe the RAM is the best value for your money.
    The 2.7Eco came out as the "gen2" version of the Ecoboost, the same setup started in 2017 for the 3.5Eco.
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker

8. Member
    I don't think there's a truck made in those years I would avoid. Personally, I'd avoid any smaller displacement, naturally aspirated V8 or V6 in any brand. They'll pull a 20' boat, but they won't be happy about it. I pulled a Ranger Z21 with a 4.6L Sierra for years, I wouldn't dream of going back after pulling it with my 5.3 Sierra. If going Ecoboost, I'd be looking at 2017 or newer.
    Sean
    2016 Phoenix 721
    Mercury 250 ProXS

9. Member
    In a half ton, I don't think the Chevy/GMC 327 V8 can be beat.

10. Member
    Buy Ford for sure. I have been driving a 18 F-150 Platinum with the new Power Stroke diesel. Very impressed so far. Great fuel mileage. I’m an Ecoboost fan also.

11. Member
    Any 1/2 ton truck will pull your boat fine and will be a very reliable vehicle. You could get a lemon with any brand but overall you really cannot go wrong. I am a Chevy guy and think they make a great truck but so does Ford, Ram and Toyota.

With all of the incentives going on right now closing out 2019 models you may be able to get into a new truck for not much more money.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the Ford would be the best in a 15-18 model. 19? My GMC will eat all those Ford lawnmower turds for breakfast, lunch and diner.
    Back in the day we use to acid dip sheet metal on race cars to make em lighter. GM has a method they call it —— rust

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    That video is several years old. I bet you’d get different answers now.
    I did this when I bought my 2018 in July of 18. The two techs I talked to said they liked the 5.0 over the EB.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost is 475 lb of torque which blows the other options out of the water. Best of all it makes all this torque at very low cruising speed RPMs - just like a diesel. You basically have to redline a Chevy just to get the much weaker 383 lbs of torque out of it. Also, my friends with new Silverados (one had a Ram another had an F150) wish they could go back to their old trucks. The reason is the Chevy gas tank capacity is significantly smaller and they are at the gas pumps all the time..PITA. Finally, the F150 has keypad entry so when you are at the boat ramp you leave your keys in the truck and they never get dropped in the lake or lost.
    When I bought my 18 F150 I thought I would not use the keypad much. Boy was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    The power between the Chevy and RAM is:

Chevy - 355hp/383torque
    RAM - 395hp/410torque
    The Chevy 6.2 has 420 hp /460 lb-ft torque
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

16. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    The Chevy 6.2 has 420 hp /460 lb-ft torque
    The post I quoted was speaking about the 5.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post

Friend of mine bought a new F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote I think it is a 2017. I believe he told me it was 385 hp. He tows a big Lund to Canada without any problems. Without a boat behind it it is like a race car

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    I wasn't asking about brands but rather certain engines or transmissions. For instance, I wonder if the little 2.7 liter Ford is really suitable for towing and am curious if there have been any problems with the new Ford/Dodge 10 speed. I'm also curious to know if the Chevy 6 cylinder will tow well. Maybe I should ask about particular engines and transmissions.
    My work truck has a 2.7. This engine is amazing and will pull any bass boat with ease. I'm Coyote fan though.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    I did this when I bought my 2018 in July of 18. The two techs I talked to said they liked the 5.0 over the EB.

My service advisor said he prefers the 5.0 also, but he also said that he hated the auto stop/start feature and the 5.0 doesn’t have it.

20. Banned
    I have had the 5.0 the 3.5 eco and now the 2.7 eco.....either eco is amazing....the 2.7 pulls my 520 great the 3.5 even better...my next truck will have either ....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast