Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar

Quick Oil Question

So I am out of merc Premium Plus synthetic blend that I run in my 1997 merc 90hp. But I have some OMC XD 50 Synthetic Blend on hand.

Can I mix the 2 and run the XD 50 in the 90 without problems? Both are tcw rated

Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

2. Member
    I wouldn't mix it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Nor would I

4. Member
    I wouldn't either.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    So I am out of merc Premium Plus synthetic blend that I run in my 1997 merc 90hp. But I have some OMC XD 50 Synthetic Blend on hand.

Can I mix the 2 and run the XD 50 in the 90 without problems? Both are tcw rated

Tim,
    I had a friend that owned an Evinrude/Johnson and Yamaha outboards dealership, and back when I had my 2001 Yammie 150HP OX66, he recommended the XD50 synthetic, with ring free and Startron in fuel. Never had any issues with it, and little less smoke. XD50 synthetic is a premium blend with very similar chemical spectrography as Merc Premium Plus blend according to the PI sheet.
    I bet you a green back, that if Jimmy was still with us and answering this question, he would say " Hey guy, you will be just fine and dandy" and selling you a bottle of Startron on way out.
    BTW, last I know, Mercury doesn't show an oil refinery under their web site, hence, somebody is making it for them with some guidance.

I would never recommend any one to experiment on something as critical as oil, I have done so but it is on my dime when I do and I do have the background to at least make an informed decision on it. I do know for a fact that some synthetics do not mix well together, if they do appear to mix without separating and do not gel or separate after 2 or 3 week, You might get away with it and might not, your risk to take.
    If Joe and Don both agreed it would ok, I could go with that, I know Don wont, Joe has allready said no so that about 5 against doing it
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I would never recommend any one to experiment on something as critical as oil, I have done so but it is on my dime when I do and I do have the background to at least make an informed decision on it. I do know for a fact that some synthetics do not mix well together, if they do appear to mix without separating and do not gel or separate after 2 or 3 week, You might get away with it and might not, your risk to take.
    If Joe and Don both agreed it would ok, I could go with that, I know Don wont, Joe has allready said no so that about 5 against doing it
    Leon,
    Like I said. read the PI sheet on both, and you can make that decision, since like you said you have the background in being judiciously informed.
    PI sheet gives detail of TCW rating, flow, and other necessary data.
    I can tell you with most certainty, Jim, GOD rest his soul, would have never send someone down any path, unless he walked point first.
    I have been asked if you can trial load a 5.56 NATO in a .223 chambered, and I have said yea if it is short run, though use what that chamber calls for long term.
    Yet, Federal specs them out the same for both, even though their is 7000 psi difference on either 55/62 gr.
    BTW, according to GM, you can only run Dexos1 on them their vehicle, but I will stay with Mobil 1 instead.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I wouldn't do it, and would not recommend doing it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What would happen if you mixed them? Just curious what physically would happen.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Numerous possibilities- one of which is congealing. Also might never have a problem- just can't see it being worth the risk (engine) to find out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor