Thread: Cajun boats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cajun boats

Anyone have one? Found a project 1988 185 fishing machine for extremely cheap with a 175 that needs rebuilt. It appears the transom and stringers have no wood and are totally sealed?
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If you buy it hang on to your butt. Cajun's were known as a rough riding boat and with a 175 it should fly.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Had a 17'1" 800lb, that would fly with a modified XR4

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshKeller View Post
    Anyone have one? Found a project 1988 185 fishing machine for extremely cheap with a 175 that needs rebuilt. It appears the transom and stringers have no wood and are totally sealed?
    buddy had that exact boat with a 175gt on it.rode a little rough but
    fished good Was quick and seemed like it ran well into the 60's.

5. Member
    My dad still has his 87 model. Garage kept and still in great shape. Really well built imo. They even lined the battery compartment in carpet. High quality cast latches etc.

6. Member
    Calling CastingCall.....

7. Banned
    Was this one of those kevlar boats from back in the day or did sombody restore it with composite?

8. Member
    Not sure, it looks to be original. If it is wood, it is absolutely 100% encapsulated which is pretty impressive for a 32 yr old boat
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

9. Banned
    Not sure, it looks to be original. If it is wood, it is absolutely 100% encapsulated which is pretty impressive for a 32 yr old boat
    All those old wood bass boats are always fully encapsulated in glass mat and resin aren't they? That doesn't prevent water from getting in and rotting the stringer and dry rot with an old one can happen too. Thats why they put gel coat on the outside, water can diffuse through fiberglass without it.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    That age it would have to be wood encapsulated with fiberglass resin.....But if it's solid I think you've got a find....

11. Member
    Definitely solid. No flex, hitting every single area with a rubber hammer produces a solid thud.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Mine was light, I split it down the Vee on Erie. Sutphin racing fixed the hull, said there was no reinforcing in the front of the boat. The foam was advertised as "Preformed, block", encapsulated in fiberglass.

13. Banned
    My uncle bought one new going to say late 80's or early 90's. He fishes out of it a couple times a month loves that boat on his third motor. Over the years I have helped him work on ot a few times they were well built. The steering cables are the only thing that is a complete pain in the backside to replace because of the angle they come out of the boat you have to unbolt the motor.

14. Banned
    Definitely solid. No flex, hitting every single area with a rubber hammer produces a solid thud.
    As long as its not had water sitting in the hull for extended periods of time you might be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Mine was light, I split it down the Vee on Erie. Sutphin racing fixed the hull, said there was no reinforcing in the front of the boat. The foam was advertised as "Preformed, block", encapsulated in fiberglass.
    My old touney partner split his too back in '92?, his was a 16' model I think.

15. Member
    Cool old boats..

16. Member
    Josh,

Is this that one down on the Crossroads? It is a nice looking boat. I haven’t been up close but it appears taken care of.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

17. Member
    I love my Cajun! I have a 1996 185sc. Super riding boat, and I fish Sam Rayburn with it. I’m the second owner, I’ve had it 11 years. I’ll fish out of it as long as it last, which might be as long as I live.

18. Banned
    One of the better things about Cajun is they used regular stuff and fitting you could buy from a hardware store. Hoses, valves and most fittings were easy to come by. If it solid and wasn't a Travis Edition (not sure what years they partnered with them) you've found a winner... Dan

19. Member
    They used an aluminum grid filled with resin for the transom. At least that's what was in a Cajun I had back in the late 80's. There was a lifetime warranty on the transom. Only problem is that it didn't want to stay attached to the rest of the boat. After two repairs, I sold it.

Up on Big Rideu, Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast