High Pitch Rattle While Running WOT

Hello folks, hoping some of you can give me a few pointers. I am getting a high pitched rattle or tinging on wide open throttle runs. It doesn't make the noise while idling, opening up the throttle, or low throttle driving. Once the boat is on plane and I'm at a good cruising speed, that's when the rattling sound comes. Hard to tell since I'm usually in the driver's seat, but seems to be coming from the top part of the engine (could be totally wrong though). If you can picture a metal washer around a metal post vibrating. That's what the sound is like. Boat drives fine, no hickups. Any suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I am no boat mechanic, but I do try to work on my own cars and toys. I'll be checking for a loose flywheel and belt tensioner. Anything else that could be possibly causing this? Maybe a lose starter?

Motor is a 2014 115 Pro XS 2 stroke 2B090348

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bunz559; 10-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.

2. Member
    check steering also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    check steering also
    Can you elaborate on what part of the steering to check and what might I look for?

4. Member
    Check the engine cowl latches, they can rattle like that.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Check the engine cowl latches, they can rattle like that.
    Will check them for tightness. Thanks!

6. Member
    Do you have a jack plate? I had that same thing happening on my manual jack plate. The top bolt that lifts the motor up and down was loose and
    was rattling at high speeds.