Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat dealers come on in

Called a dealership today to ask about a boat. Answered all my questions, then we got down to price. Managed to haggle and agree on a price and when he asked how I planned to pay for it I told him I had financing already through a finance company, that I won't name. I've never financed a boat before, especially one 500 miles away and asked the guy how it worked, should I have the finance company contact you or how does this work? He asked who the company was and then said he won't work with that company, they used to be his main company he worked with but he won't work with then anymore. He just lost out on a 40k sale. Not sure what the commission would be but if that's who the customer wanted to go with then I'd swallow my pride. Any dealers out there have any finance companies they won't work with? Please no company names just a yes or no and reason. To me a sale is a sale.

2. Banned
    Wait for it.............

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Bishop View Post
    Wait for it.............
    Lol

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 96ranger492vs View Post
    To me a sale is a sale.
    Wait a minute, how large was the sail?

Say, I like the cut of Your jib, Sport...

5. Member
    My guess is he just wanted me to finance through him or a company that gives him kickbacks.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Wait a minute, how large was the sail?

Say, I like the cut of Your jib, Sport...
    Dude, put down the bong

7. Member
    I've purchased a car with outside financing before. They sent me a blank check good for up to a X amount. I filled out how much it was for at the time of purchase. No matter to the dealer if it was a check from me or from a finance company. Only reason I could guess he wouldn't work with them is what you said.

Would it be worth it to you to listen to the terms of the dealer's finance company of choice?

Quote Originally Posted by 96ranger492vs View Post
    My guess is he just wanted me to finance through him or a company that gives him kickbacks.
    Last edited by Grahamb; 10-15-2019 at 03:54 PM.

There's a few lenders I don't like, but none (so far) that I refuse to work with. I don't make commission from the lender, ever. Typically the lender contacts me for the hull number and a bill of sale, then the buyer is responsible for registering the boat.

(606)305-1956

9. Member
    If they’ve had a hard time getting funding from them in the past, they choose not to work with them. That’s simple. Not all banks are created equally. And if paperwork isn’t right, they don’t get paid. 40k is a lot of mo eh for anyone. Use a local bank and bring a check If you want the boat.

He is not working with the lender, you are. Dumbass move on his part. jmo

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Bishop View Post
    Wait for it.............

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiget10 View Post
    If they’ve had a hard time getting funding from them in the past, they choose not to work with them. That’s simple. Not all banks are created equally. And if paperwork isn’t right, they don’t get paid. 40k is a lot of mo eh for anyone. Use a local bank and bring a check If you want the boat.

13. Member
    I am a small, used boat dealer in north Alabama. There is a semi local bank here, that's real popular in Huntsville, that I will charge an extra fee for people using. They are a pain! Won't do paper work without seeing the boat in person and then, you have to wait until they're done to get the check. I would just as soon wait on the next guy as deal with that bank.

14. Banned
    You see it as his loss. He obviously doesnt or he would make it happen. Hes a business man, and im sure some on the fly cost/benefit analysis happened when he decided to tell you to kick rocks.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by underestimated View Post
    I am a small, used boat dealer in north Alabama. There is a semi local bank here, that's real popular in Huntsville, that I will charge an extra fee for people using. They are a pain! Won't do paper work without seeing the boat in person and then, you have to wait until they're done to get the check. I would just as soon wait on the next guy as deal with that bank.
    People only see things from their own perspective. To me...thats says a lot that he decided to turn down a guaranteed sale just because of the lender. Im sure he knows itll sell soon enough to not have to deal with that lender.

16. Member
    Does he want a check or is the deal off? He doesn't even need to know as long as you show up to pay for it.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

17. Member
    save up and pay cash

dealer shouldn't care where you get your financing - you get a check from said lender and give check to dealer. pretty simple process.

Get the out the door price from the dealer. Stop by the bank and get a cashiers check of the exact amount. Hand boat dealer check and done. Dealer has no contact with your finance company. Easy peasy.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

19. Member
    Its a different example, but the same principle. We own a body shop and have had a few really crappy appraisers/adjustors over the years. One guy that worked our area that wound up banned from ever setting foot on our property again so we couldnt do business with the insurance company he represented. A nice note on the door telling customers we wouldnt be accepting jobs covered by that particular company. They get several angry calls from their customers and they made sure everything was resolved. We were ready not to accept jobs from that company going forward because we had plenty of other work (just as the dealer has plenty of prospective buyers) not to have to deal with all the bs. Hes obviously dealt with said company before and would rather wait a couple extra weeks to make the sell than deal with that companies crap
    They aint got hands, set the hook

Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    People only see things from their own perspective. To me...thats says a lot that he decided to turn down a guaranteed sale just because of the lender. Im sure he knows itll sell soon enough to not have to deal with that lender.

Nawww there is something more to it, like a kickback from HIS lender. Doesn’t matter where the buyer gets the money. 1980 The dealer offered a good price on the new cars if you used their finance company. I read the contract, no penalty for early pay off. Made the first monthly payment, next month paid the vehicle off with a check from my credit union. Saved $500 on the price, saved on a lower interest rate from the credit union.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast