Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Solution to NFL reffing problems?

Lots of complaints. wondering if anyone has any solutions? be interesting to hear.

we know the refs at that level are the most competent in understanding the rules, so its not like you can hire better refs. What needs to be done?

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    Lots of complaints. wondering if anyone has any solutions? be interesting to hear.

we know the refs at that level are the most competent in understanding the rules, so its not like you can hire better refs. What needs to be done?
    Change humor behavior to not look for easy excuses why "their" team lost.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    So you’re saying the refs didn’t blow three major calls last night in the 4th quarter, that cost the Lions the game? I will say this it is partially the Lions fault. When your kicker scores 16 of your 22 points your offense isn’t doing their job.

Those refs are union people, right?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    So you’re saying the refs didn’t blow three major calls last night in the 4th quarter, that cost the Lions the game? I will say this it is partially the Lions fault. When your kicker scores 16 of your 22 points your offense isn’t doing their job.
    So whats your solution?
    Last edited by dmc575; 10-15-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: no one is saying that at all

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    you and I sir are on the exact same page!

I still hold that the Dez Bryant play is the WORST call in the history of the NFL. The saints play was a no call...no idea how it was missed but its still a no call. Dez bryant caught the ball. It was deemed a catch as the real time call on the field. The referees went and viewed the replay and found indisputable evidence that it was in fact not a catch. Instead of saying things were too unclear, so we have to stick with the call they said we found indisputable evidence to OVERTURN the call on the field. The Packers lost to the seahawks in OT. Then the seahawks went on to gift the patriots a ring in the super bowl. THE COWBOYS BEAT THE SEAHAWKS THAT YEAR AND WERE THE BETTER TEAM. So yea....that call completely changed history. Not saying Cowboys wouldve beat the pats, but they wouldve competed and had a good shot to do so that year. Imagine if Romo wouldve won a ring how all the talk and history wouldve changed?

So, this isnt new. The availability of soap boxes via social media, and extra camera angles is basically the only difference the way I see it.

The Dez play happened in 2014. 5 years ago. The Tuck Rule game happened in 2001 and sparked a dynasty...and also sent the other franchise from that game in the opposite direction. All from a single play call. That was 18 years ago.

This is the way things are, and nothing can be done. This isnt Tennis or Baseball where we can bring in the robots. NFL and NBA are at the mercy of humans. All of us are complaining from the stands. Go to ground level at a high school game and tell me if it doesnt look faster on the ground than in the stands. If you have access...go to a college game at ground level and tell me its not wayyyyy faster than it looks on TV and the stands. Doubtful...but if you can get on the ground of an NFL game its like lightspeed compared to what its like watching on TV and the stands (ive been told, never done the NFL one but its easy to imagine after watching a college game from ground level). More rules and bigger, faster athletes is a good equation for more mistakes (No idea how mistakes happen like they did to Dez since they saw replay). Then social media, and the ever presence of the NFL everywhere today just amplify that.

Im still waiting for solutions...but it really seems like these complaints come up more when its your team. Just sayin....

NOTHING NEW. Refs directly involving themselves in outcomes. Get over it. It took me about 3-4 years but I got over the Dez thing...and this has allowed me to make fun of you complainers about it now!!!

7. Member
    You have obviously not got over the Dez call. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    Still not a catch.

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Make it where there is LESS rules than what there is today. They have implemented so many penalties that you are pretty much assured a flag will be thrown on every play.
    1-Make a holding penalty a true holding i.e. grasping and holding onto a player.
    2- Make a pass interference call mean, he held i.e. grasping and holding onto the player.
    3- All this stuff about hitting the QB high or low results in a penalty. If that player is in the progress of hitting the QB...let him hit him.
    4- Blocking below the waist, just get rid of that, you block to get the other players from tackling your player.
    5- Eliminate instant replay.
    Getting rid of those bogus holding plays will eliminate many punt returns with a flag flying. In today's game you can just throw an arm out and it holding. Its not holding it is an arm sticking out there.

10. Banned
    hire younger refs that can actually "SEE"!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post

you might be right!

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Still not a catch.

Even though you always hold solid positions and are rarely wrong....WRONG!
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-fact-catch-it

This was on the suggestions bar from the Brady video. Crazy stuff and dont remember that at all. Wow!

12. Member
    Outlaw football. That should do it.
    Praying for a Cure

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Make it where there is LESS rules than what there is today.
    thats just wishful thinking and not going to happen with the way things have gone in recent years in regards to player safety.

all those things you posted about are discretionary and the problems will be the same.

For example, you mention holding. Watch the play from yesterday (1st call i think), and look at Packer player #63 the lineman....hes holding his defender. So that couldve and shouldve been called. Thats the reason why you cant bring robots in. There is holding every play...but I think just like in the NBA the ref has to make that real time determination of wether the infraction had consequences and unfairly hindered the other team. Thats where the "spirit of the rule" comes into play. Thats why there will always be a human element to NFL and NBA, and nothing can be done. Its not black and white....if it was there would be no actual play because every infraction would be called.

I used to referee wrestling...so I know what its like hearing it from the cheap seats. Luckily I was good at reffing so never had many/any issues with parents. Plenty of it from coaches...but that was mostly because (LIKE IM SURE is the case here) about 95% of coaches dont actually know the rules and take the time to actually sit down and read a rulebook. Instead (LIKE IM SURE is the case here) would rather just complain when things arent going their way.

14. Member
    A couple things I think would help:

1. Al Riveron needs to be fired (NFL VP of Officiating)

2. Eliminate some of the "Automatic First Downs" on all the defensive penalties. Increase some of the penalty yardage from 5 to 10 if needed but getting a 5 yd "automatic first down" penalty on 3rd and 12 seems to happen way too often. If it is an automatic first down, there should be no yardage added unless it was a first down play. All of these penalties are pro-offense which I know sells tickets, but we don't have any "automatic third down" penalties for the defense (would be interesting)

3. The NFL for no reason this year "emphasized" holding and penalties like hands to the face (def. lineman). Was there a massive outcry for this last year? I don't think so. Penalties in the trenches should only be called for blatant or play-altering violations. I think they do a decent job with this for most part, but putting an "emphasis" on penalties that most agree could be called on the majority of plays was a stupid initiative from the league (see item #1)

4. The PI review was a disaster from the beginning, but now even more so that they don't overturn any of the obvious calls. If you aren't going to overturn, go back to what it was before. If you're gonna use the technology, put your pride aside and correct the call. What is worse? What happened to the Saints last year, or having that same thing happen, them reviewing it, and upholding the non-call anyway? At this point I don't think they would have overturned that call last year.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    So whats your solution?
    I don’t have one, never said I did.

16. Member
    this review of pass interference is the dumbest rule ever. Stop making rules to make up for bad calls. it was a bad call. We will never forget or forgive, but it happens. Teams lose because of it.

I agree with above poster stop making so many damn rules.

You think the BBC ref analysis crew is tough, go watch youth sports........refs are quiting left and right.

They are Human, they will make mistakes. None of you could do a better job....

18. Member
    My issue with the game last night was the hands to the face. How can a ref call something that he didn't see? Did he just guess? I think it would be more acceptable to miss that call than guess what might have happened and throw a flag.
    The missed PI call was messed up but that is something the booth should catch.

19. Banned
    If you cost a team a win with a bad call tip of your penis gets cut off, problem solved...

20. Member
    Just think of all the money won or lost all because of a bad call. Makes you wonder if it's all done to cover a point spread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast