Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I can not stand bad ref or umpire calls costing teams games no matter the sport. I'm a Bills fan so I did not care who won last night's game, but I will say the Lions got the shaft last night.

How to fix it??? No idea, it has been an issue for years. One thing is with todays technology why cant the replay booth do a quick replay of a potential horrible call and call down to the on field ref before the next play is run. I know it will be hard during no huddle offense's are on the field but then again if there is a flag on the play while the on field refs are having their mini conference the booth could call down to the field say the call is incorrect.

Just a thought, but it will never happen. The refs are human and the game is fast, human error will always occur.
    Brad Krone

2. Banned
    SOOOO....my "new blood" idea is over with. I was watching one of the talk shows today and they were talking about older generation nfl refs were spending 10+ years in college before getting the call up to the big game. And that now the average NFL ref is just spending 6 years in college before getting called up. So the person talking was saying thats why...that "learning curve" is still there is what I think they said specifically. I did not know this. I guess there is no hope! lol

3. robdy72
    I know they will never do it, but get rid of replay. Its a lot easier to see things in slow motion than at live speed. We have 65,000 thousand refs at every game.

4. Banned
    Get rid of all the officials but one to manage ball placement and the clock. Have a camera on every section of the play one for the line, one offense back field, one for the defense back field, with a official watching their own area. They have the play and 10 seconds to green light or yellow light the play.

Why not? That's basically what is happening now. The officials on the field are flagging almost every play and making the slow motion official make the call so why not just put the play in their hands to begin with and safe the time.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggumup View Post
    I caught the tail end of a discussion similar to this this afternoon. Unfortunately I only listened to a few minutes before I had to get out of the truck. From what I gathered every game would have a “head official” for lack of a better term that is up in the booth. THis person would be responsible for reviewing plays in real time looking for mistakes. Take the game last night. All of the phantom calls. This person could radio down to the field to veto the call and pick up the flag. Same with the obvious missed calls. They could radio down, holding on 75. Now there would still be a need for time outs for further review, I’m guessing. I didn’t get time to listen to much of it but it was an interesting idea.
    This is pretty much what the College Game has gone to.

Ref in the Booth at every Game and they can stop the Game at any point to call for a look at the play. Rare is the Case when they get it wrong. NFL could learn a thing or two from them.

The Refs now in the NFL are a joke. With the new PI Review I knew there was no way they were EVER going to let the "outsiders" tell them they were wrong. They have not, at least what I have seen, Overturned a Single PI Call on a Challenge yet this year.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    This is pretty much what the College Game has gone to.

Ref in the Booth at every Game and they can stop the Game at any point to call for a look at the play. Rare is the Case when they get it wrong. NFL could learn a thing or two from them.

The Refs now in the NFL are a joke. With the new PI Review I knew there was no way they were EVER going to let the "outsiders" tell them they were wrong. They have not, at least what I have seen, Overturned a Single PI Call on a Challenge yet this year.
    Disagree with this completely. College gets calls wrong ALL the time. Way worse than the NFL.

8. Member
    One of the worst aspects of the call last Monday was the whining of Booger McFarland. He complained about the refs costing the Lions the game. On and on he went with no mention of the possibility that other plays contributed to the Lions' loss. I agreed the call was bad, terrible even but the broadcasters need to have some perspective.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestnews View Post
    One of the worst aspects of the call last Monday was the whining of Booger McFarland. He complained about the refs costing the Lions the game. On and on he went with no mention of the possibility that other plays contributed to the Lions' loss. I agreed the call was bad, terrible even but the broadcasters need to have some perspective.
    Yup. And hes bias as a D linemen. The defensive guys always get the most worked up about it on TV.

You cant have an eye in the sky calling penalties...cuz every play has a penalty. Look at the hands to the face call....but the whole line. #63 for the packers (center maybe?) was holding his defender, clear as day. So thats a penalty. There is that camera angle that shows what looks like hands to the face, so I could still see them calling it there too. Too many penalties in this and the NBA to bring in the robots, or some Camera God Ref. There needs to be a human element...and unfortunately humans are human and make mistakes.

The real discussion about reffing should be....is it rigged? Either for gambling reasons, or by the NFL. I still have no idea how the saints call was missed. And I seen tons of flags thrown late, and tons of flags thrown from across the field....but that saints game had none of that. Just a total miss. Thats weird. Human nature is one thing...but that wasnt human nature.

10. Banned
    1 - Ban instant replay
    2 - Get rid of Fantasy Leagues
    3 - *Realize the game is played, coached and officiated by humans, we all make mistakes*

... Dan

11. Banned
    The reason we need to take it from the ref's? Legalized sports gambling...

While fixing games has never been right it has happened and I doubt they were all caught. Now previously this has only affected illegal betters/bookies and a few in Vegas and Atlantic City. We are about to have billions of additional dollars in LEGAL sports gambling and we all know where there is that much money there is a crook. The pressure on the ref's not to take money that is going to be offered will be unreal.

Turn the TV off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123