721/921 - trying to choose

I know this topic has been addressed many times, but I have a few specific questions that I have not seen:

Stability of 721 when fishing? Does the narrower platform cause the boat to move more with co-angler movement, etc. I know how stable the 921 is. Curious if there is any significant difference with the 721.

Does one boat offer significant storage capacity over the other? They both appear to offer plenty of storage options.

Difference in price for comparable rigs appears to be around $5,000. Does that number sound about right?

Is a hydraulic jack plate necessary on either boat. My thought is that the 921 full of gas and water might benefit from adjustments. And maybe the 721 would not be as prone to reduced performance with extra weight.

Thanks for for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodMc View Post

Stability of 721 when fishing? Does the narrower platform cause the boat to move more with co-angler movement .
    No Sir
    721 ​ProXp

3. Member
    Plenty of storage on both and the 721 is super stable when fishing. Hydraulic plate isnt really necessary but I wont get a boat without one. It allows you to dial in the ride to any situation or any prop whenever.

4. Member
    Owned both. Want more speed, get the 721. Want more front deck space, get the 921. No extreme differences in them other than that. Ive been called crazy for thinking it, but i think the 721 rides better. Feels like it cuts the waves instead of smacking them. Id get a hydraulic plate on either one. I take off with it in one position and bring it up to achieve max speed. I have a 721 now and miss the front deck space but love how much more nimble it is. Gotta get what fits you
    They aint got hands, set the hook

5. Member
    921 if you can afford and store it, 721 if you cannot. Simple as that.
    2014 920/SHO

6. Member
    Hard to beat the pricing on the 721. I've owned 3 721s and been in several 921's. I really can't tell the difference in the ride.

7. Member
    I love my 721, and would only change for the 921 Elite. That boat is the best of both worlds IMO. That being said, the 721 has no issues with co-angler movement, and handles rough water EXTREMELY well. It's also very fishable whether you're fishing deep or shallow.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

8. Member
    I've only owned my 921 for a few months now after having a 721 for 7 years. I love the extra deck space of the 921 and would be hard pressed to go back. That being said I think the storage is similar in terms of total volume and in either case, most local tackle stores would comfortably fit in either boat. Both are great rides but due to limited time with the 921 I haven't been able to experience enough rough water to make a legit comparison. IMHO I've never understood why anyone would buy a 20'+ boat with 250 HP and not spend 1500 on a hydraulic Jackplate.