Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    Yea...no. I love Lew's baitcasting reels, but their spinning reels aren't even in the same ballpark as Shimano and Daiwa for 200 to $100.
    I’m with you, I like Lews casting reels but their spinning are a joke. Never felt one that wasn’t clunky or and they all felt like it was binding similar to an older Shimano Sahara that would get wet. I’d never consider a Lews spinning reel over what the other market options are
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    Daiwa Tatula or Stradic ci4, I personally like the round knob on the stradic better, but can't go wrong with either
    Cheese County Bass Club

3. Member
    Last edited by Lynn R; 10-16-2019 at 02:47 PM.

4. Member
    I absolutely love my Shimano Ultegra. Super sweet reel, especially for its price.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafaar View Post
    How do you guys rate BBS Johnny Morris Signature Series Spinning Reel?

They are on sale at Cabela's... I was thinking of picking up a couple, never used one.
    Those reels are odd compare to others. I used to have one before I didn't know better. To be honest, It's not worth it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denraytay View Post
    I would get a Daiwa Tatula or Shimano Stradic CI4. Both are great spinning reels.
    I got both and love'em! Get the 3000.......it is just a touch better for bass fishing IMO!

7. Member
    Another vote for Stradic. I have five and they have been flawless. If you want an absolute tank of a spinning reel that is seemingly indestructible look for an Abu Soron.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I’m with you, I like Lews casting reels but their spinning are a joke. Never felt one that wasn’t clunky or and they all felt like it was binding similar to an older Shimano Sahara that would get wet. I’d never consider a Lews spinning reel over what the other market options are
    Go and check out the Lews Mach II Speed Spin....10 bearings, 6.2;1 ratio 17 lb drag...weight 9.1 oz for 65.00.....You will be pleasantly surprised.....

Stradic

10. Member
    Beware: Shimano has phased out the anti-reverse switch. If you are a spinning reel guy, this is a deal breaker. For this reason plus the binding of their reels in hot or wet conditions (they may have fixed this issue, I'm not spending another $200 to find out) I have moved to Daiwa. No regrets. I really like the BG and Fuego LT.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

I have a 2500 CI 14 a Tatula 300 LT AND an Okuma RX300 that I bought on Amazon for less than $80. The Okuma weighs less than the Stratic, and looks suspiciously like it. They are all great reels. I don’t know about longevity of the Okuma, only one I have ever owned, but I used the hell out of it, as my wacky rod for 3 plus weeks in Canada and probably, for that price, buy another
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JHelms View Post
    Beware: Shimano has phased out the anti-reverse switch. If you are a spinning reel guy, this is a deal breaker..
    because of how good the drags are on most $100+ spinning reels, why backreel?
    i catch thousands of smallmouth up on Erie, and a good drag is AWESOME when fighting those pigs!

13. Member
    I love my Diawa tatula LT.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Get a Lew's in that price range and never look back......
    Yup, after you throw it in the trash you'll never look back ;)

15. Member
    Ballistic gets my vote. Mine have been flawless

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafaar View Post
    How do you guys rate BBS Johnny Morris Signature Series Spinning Reel?

They are on sale at Cabela's... I was thinking of picking up a couple, never used one.
    I like mine a lot. Made by Lew's or Diawa. Can't recall what clerk told me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm a Daiwa guy through and through after Shimano shafted me on warranty service for three 6-month old bound up Symetres saying it was caused by a "wear part," so take this all with that in mind - I'm sure Shimano makes fine reels in that price point now, I just won't find out.

The Tatula is an awesome spinning reel, and if you care about light weight, I think that's your pick in the price range. I've got one, and it's great. However, I'd argue that Daiwa's BG is a better reel overall - smoother operating, smoother drag, feels more sturdy - and it comes in quite a bit cheaper barely cracking the $100 mark. To be fair, any incremental improvement the BG has over the Tatula in performance is pretty minimal, but I think is magnified due to the price points. The only down side is that the BG is heavier, I'm sure being driven by the oversized gear and waterproof drag as well as the aluminum frame (vs what seems to be a graphite frame of some sort on the Tatula). The oversized gear is also probably why it feels so smooth and sturdy, and I'd wager the waterproof drag is at least part of why that piece is so smooth at its price point.

In either case, both the BG and Tatula have handles that screw INTO the frame as opposed to the classic pass-through style that gets screwed into place via the cap on the opposite side. I think this goes a long way in removing play in the system and making a reel that's smooth out of the box and stays that way. I'm not sure if others have gone to that or not.

Trying to quantify the weight piece, the best thing I know to do is compare it to Shimano. Daiwa reels for a given size seem to be a little bigger than Shimano. In other words a 2500 Daiwa is bigger than a 2500 Shimano, but not a full size bigger...a Shimano 2500 is somewhere in the middle of the Daiwa 2000 and 2500. Comparing weights: the BG 2000 weighs 8.5 oz, the 2500 weighs 9.3 oz. A Stradic FK 2500 is 8.3 oz, the FL is 7.9 oz, and the CI4 is 6.7 oz. For reference, the Tatula weighs 5.8 and 6.2 oz for the 2000 and 2500 series, respectively.

Weight doesn't really bother me in a spinning reel, and I think in a lot of cases can actually make a set up more comfortable due to the effect of balancing rods better, particularly longer ones. That's probably at least part of why I like that BG so much and honestly prefer my BGs to my Tatula. If weight savings are important, though, I think the Tatula is a great choice.

DrewFlu, I've been eyeing adding a BG.. my hesitation is on the weight and also that the 2000 model only has a max drag of 4.4 lbs.

Ballistics or Ci4's. I have them both. You can't go wrong with either one.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

19. Member
    Haven't tried the CI4+, but I have several Pflueger Supreme XT's. Fast, smooth, magnesium body so they are light, and great drag. The Shimano with the same capacity is slightly lighter, but $150 vs $230?
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

20. Member
    Ci4+

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast