Wedge placement?

Jbraud says I can raise my jack plate 1 hole at the spacer. Can I place a wedge between the static plate and jack plate while I have it unbolted or should I place it between mtr and j plate.?

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Hi Mike.....Is your spacer the 4" black Allison set back spacers mounted to the transom bolts? And I'm assuming your hydraulic JP is the HD CMC? If this is correct and if it were me I wouldn't put a wedge between the spacers and the JP. I don't have any logical reason as to say that other than in my mind it's not right. But then again...I've been told I'm not right!! I would put the wedge under the motor mount brackets
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

If you don’t put it between the motor and the jack plate you run the risk of countering the height gained by shifting the motor up. The angle will push everything behind it down. The more setback the worse it will get.

I have the wedge built into my static plate just like you are asking. My jack plate has more than enough stroke to counter it.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Thanks gentlemen

Update.
    Raised the 250Rr one hole at the static plate /jack plate so I could get to 1.5" above pad. Still could not get RPM's above 5900. The shop owner called Merc and they said we needed to do an on the water setup with computer.
    Long story short I got in touch with "the man" Geoff Erickson who sent some great info and we got the throttle set like it should have been. It was only getting 90.6% of throttle until we took the throttle stop out of the hotfoot and reset the idle screw.
    All I can say right now is WOW !
    Also there is no need for a wedge with a Max 5 prop.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 10-30-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Update.
    Raised the 250Rr one hole at the static plate /jack plate so I could get to 1.5" above pad. Still could not get RPM's above 5900. The shop owner called Merc and they said we needed to do an on the water setup with computer.
    Long story short I got in touch with "the man" Geoff Erickson who sent some great info and we got the throttle set like it should have been. It was only getting 90.6% of throttle until we took the throttle stop out of the hotfoot and reset the idle screw.
    All I can say right now is WOW !
    Also there is no need for a wedge with a Max 5 prop.
    Sweet!
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

7. Member
    Please post results with the Max 5. I am sure a lot out here want to know. Very happy to hear you have the issues worked out and your ready to hammer down in this cool weather. Can’t wait to hear the numbers.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

I bought the 28 Max 5 used on Scream and fly. All I know is it had been labbed by Brett at BBlades prop shop and added 4 extra PVS holes.
    First day out I had 4 holes plugged and had to ease it up on plane. even on plane you could bust it loose when hammered. Next trip I had all plugged but one. The prop has no bow rise and you can ease it out with very little throttle or you can nail it and hang on.. The hole shot with my heavy load was truly amazing even with only 90.6% of throttle.
    The guy with the computer opened up Sunday morning after Geoff sent me instructions for setting throttle. It took some tinkering to get 100% and the mechanic had a lunch appointment but he backed me in for one quick test run. It jumped out of the hole and pulled past 6000 VERY quick I glanced down and it was already past 80 when I backed off as there was a big wake dead ahead. I put the boat in storage and headed the 440 miles back home.
    Hopefully I can go back in a few weeks and spend some time testing without a tournament to fish. No doubt that 28 Max 5 will be on the limiter real quick and depending on slip will be 85-88 mph. For right now, with my load and elevation that makes me happy.
    From what I've seen so far I think this motor out pulls my 300XS and very well might run as fast on top end with the load I carry...