1997 johnson venom 200 fuel issue

#27Today, 08:16 AM

I have a 1997 johnson venom 200 fresh rebuild but it wont run over 4k and 40 mph on a 201 pro elite unless it really low on fuel. If it's on the verge of running out of fuel it will run out great. If it's got any more fuel than that it acts like its loading up. The carbs only have the single jet and have been completely rebuilt. I had this same issue before it was rebuilt. It's been to 4 mechanics and 5k later and still no fix. And it's hard to start it used to fire up no matter what the weather was like. The last guy went through set the timing, butterflies, all linkages and ran it on his dyno and he said it maxed it out, but it was also nearly out of gas. It comes out of the hole like it should if I hold it around 2500 rpm for 30 seconds to a min then idle back down put it in gear and go, but once on plane at 3800 to 4k you can look back and its leaving a smoke trail. I can set it down go to take off and it plows water bogging down. Put it in neutral hold around 2500 3k rpm for a min and slowly run up to 5k the a couple quick tips, put in gear blast off, same deal 3800 4k 40 mph smoke trail, oh and once I set it down and it does the bogging thing its smoking like hell until it clears out. PLEASE HELPModel#J200STLECE serial#G 04404291

2. Member
    I check the adjustment screws on the butterfly block behind the carbs 2 4 6 were 4.25 to 4.5 turns 1 was 4.25 3- 3 and 5 was 5

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try replacing the anti-siphon valve at the tank. Sounds like you may have a venting issue. Some of the 201's vent hoses had a sag in them causing fuel to puddle in the vent hose. Take the access panel off for the tank and try wedging a piece of 2x4 to take the sag out of the hose, that's just a possibility.

4. Member
    I'll try that and let you know. I'm hoping to get it out today.

5. Member
    I rerouted the vent tube and in the process it did have some fuel in it, but when I took it out there was practically no change. While on the water I adjusted the air fuel screws on the butterfly block out to five it helped a little but it's still loading up. It's super hard to start and doesn't want to stay running at 7 to 800 rpm on idle. I just wonder if the timing is off? It's been to 3 mechanics and 2 are pretty good, I'm just tired of dumping money into this engine so I've been trying to do stuff on my own.