EchoMAP coming off cradle

Just this past weekend I got caught in rough water with 3ft chop and a wave come over the bow and sent my front 93sv CHIRP flying. Luckily, it deflected off the consoles and landed in the cockpit. My boat got swamped several times; thank god for bilge pumps. Anyway, I've heard of others who've lost their units overboard in similar circumstances. Is there anyway to prevent this loss? The only way I could think is to remove the unit before running. I've also had my console unit come off when I went airborne behind a wake boat. Garmin should probably look to improve the locking mechanism for these cradles.
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    Mercury 200 EFI (0G374590)
    26P Trophy Plus / Garmin Force / Garmin EchoMAP / Dual Power Pole Pro Series II

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

I use a bungee cord on mine when rough and you might want to give Garmin a call they have replaced some of the cradles with new ones for people having issues.

Had the same thing happen to me first time out with 93sv. I love the unit but the cradle design is quite terrible and I really don’t understand why they chose to go this route. I’m ordering some 9” rubber bands and going to put these around unit and cradle to see if this helps. Otherwise, it’ll come out of the cradle when I run.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I havent had any issues with my 93+ but still use a velcro strap around it, IF i remember.......if i'm done fishing, i'll remove it before heading back to the landing.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Have the Ultra units had any of these issues?
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Not my ultra and not heard any.....they lock in craddle different.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    I have 3 93 sv plus on my Ranger and when I seen the cradle mount at a show I thought it would be great for a quick removal when trailering. I have one at bow and 2 at console and when I install them I make sure I hear a distinctive click. I then seen a few posts about people having them pop out of the cradle which alarmed me. I have never had one pop out. I was searching for a remedy before I had one pop out and possibly lose one. I seen a post here where someone used rubber bands so I did a search and found Grafiti bands which I purchased 2 packages of the 6 inch for about $12 a very cheap insurance policy for some pricey units. http://www.grifiti.com/band-joes.html I put 2 on each unit the person who posted the bands used 1 band on his units I thought 1 is good and 2 would be better. It only takes a few minutes to install but a little tricky on the side where there are no buttons but by moving the band over on the back side I am good for a day of fishing. I hope this helps out.

IMG_2298-1.jpgIMG_2302.jpgIMG_2303-2.jpgIMG_2304_edited-1.jpgIMG_2306.jpg
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

8. Member
    Hi all,
    I run 10+ miles in rough seas and rogue boat wakes up here on Saint Clair.
    My bow unit has come loose a couple of times, luckely Left Seat has quick reflexes.
    Those who say "they only come loose when not installed properly" are wrong and slightly insulting.
    Here is my solution.
    I picked up some stainless push pins(I think that's what they are called) at West Marine and pushed them through the holes for flush mounting. With the rings reinstalled on the back side, I run a zip tight through the top and bottom around and through the cradle as shown in the pics. If I want to remove the unit, snip snip, I have a bag of zip ties in the glove compartment. Adds 60 seconds to install and nothing to put on or take off or worry about during the day. No issues since doing this. I had a vision and this one actually seams to work.IMG_9039.JPGIMG_9037.JPGIMG_9038.JPG
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by bltnme; 10-27-2019 at 11:54 AM.

9. Member
    Its not a push pin, its a clevis pin and there is a size that fits nearly perfect. I do not remember the size but there is one that is nearly perfect. Two of the holes I had to drill out slightly. As dad always said, "don't force it".Attachment 381108

10. Member
    THat is a great ideo.
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury