Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering wheel question

Im gonna put on a new steering wheel and hub and was thinking if the nut on the hub is too tight to take off that i would use a impact driver to do this. Do youthink that is ok or would that be too much for the steering system. My boat is a 2003 ranger comanche 521vx.I want the final work to be more like this and not like this.

2. Member
    An impact shouldn't hurt anything, but I doubt you'll need it. You will likely need a puller to remove the wheel from the helm.

The steering wheel is probaly held on with about 6 counter sink screw, the adaptor will have a large nut and require a puller, some may have to pull the large nut and the 6 screws but not the adaptor, that is what I have seen on all helms I have done
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Different ways, but basically it's a 15/16 (I think) nyloc nut that holds the assembly on. You may have a collar that attaches to the steering wheel with server allen head or recessed phillips. Will probably need a puller, or hold against the steering wheel and with the nyloc nut at the end of the threads so as to not ruin the theads, hit with a punch and hammer and should pop the steering wheel loose from the wedged shaft and key.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    You should be able to get the nut, that holds the hub, off with a socket and ratchet. Getting the hub off is not all that difficult just takes some patience. Getting the hub off is best done with 2 people. First thing is to spray some WD40 or any penetrating oil on the hub shaft and let it soak. Loosen the lock nut to the point that it is flush with the end of the shaft and stop. You will need a hammer and a soft metal drift. While one person pulls straight up on the steering wheel, the other hits the top of the nut. It may take several sharp blows to get it to release but it will.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

I personally would not want to transmit deadblow shock into the helm unit by hitting the shaft. Even protecting the threads it would concern me what it might damage inside the helm.

Assuming you have a common tapered keyed shaft and the hub on the shaft needs to come off, you need a gear puller. Now understand that the typical puller with a small enough center will not have arm reach long enough to reach under the hub. There are several places that sell a common 3 puller set like harbor freight. Take the smallest center and put the arms from the largest on it so it has long reach. Find the exact center of the steering shaft end by drawing opposing diameter lines across it. Then drill a tiny divet at the center of the shaft. Your now all set to pull the hub without risking any damage inside the helm.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 10-15-2019 at 03:49 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks guys i had allen screws and the allen key that fit was small and snapped off on the second screw so i took my grinder a cut a cut in each screw then fit a screwdriver in and was go to go then i used a steering wheel puller i got from autozone $15 then went to ace hardware and got two scews that would fit into my old hub with washers of course and the hub came right off with no hittingit at all

8. Member
    Take one of ur six screws with u to ace and get grade 8 bc they are strongest ok tbe size is 10/32 on mu boat and get atwo fender washers on them i will send pics

9. Member

10. Member
    IMAG3835.jpg
    IMAG3836.jpg
    IMAG3839.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member

12. Member

13. Member

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    the steering wheel puller came with these two big bolts so you will have to take one of your old steering wheel screws with you to ace and find the same bolt pattern of your old hub and get them about 3-4 inches long and two big washers so they wont go through the steering wheel puller.
    hope this helps out. also as i stated about the allen key kept snapping bc they are so thin so you will have to cut a grove in it to make it take a flat head screwdriver this also heats up the screw hole a little. now just understand that you will mar up the old steering wheel cutting that groove into the head of the steering wheel screw but dont worry as long as you have a new steering wheel then your ok.

15. Member

16. Member

17. Member
    I put the old ranger emblem from the old steering wheel on the the new one and it looks i got a wipe it clean its little dirty but looks good

18. Member
    Plus 1 on G4BAMA. That works period

19. Member
    Looks good.

20. Banned
    I would replace the helm shaft seal while the wheel was off. A little bit of cheap insurance against a future leak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast