Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drop shot weights

Went through a bunch of drop shot weights 1/4 oz to 1/8oz this weekend from smallmouth. Anybody have recommendations. Won't a good drop shot weight help line twist or are they all created equal. I need some tungsten ones that are tieable and lead ones that clip or tie.

2. Member
    Why dont you just use a bullet weight held in place with a bobber stop. Way cheaper. Those clip thingys are designed to come off the line.

3. Member
    I sell tungsten drop shot weights on my website. They have the clip type top on them, but I personally just tie to those clips because I also don't like seeing a drop shot weight flung off when fighting a fish. Here is a link:

https://heavymetalfishing.com/collec...p-shot-weights

All the tungsten ones are the same, made in one of two factories. Lead is basically lead, too with main difference being the size of the weight and the hardness of the material (which can translate to sensitivity in feeling the bottom composition).

I like the skinny ones as they come through rocks and vegetation better, and prefer the line "crimp" style. I tie an overhand knot in the end of my tag before sliding the line into the weight, and go to town. The overhand knot helps immensely with not throwing weights off when fighting fish as it provides a stop so that the line can slip through the crimp. I lose very, very few weights with this setup just buying the cheap ones from omfishingsinkers.com, and that's with 7 lb Sniper as my leader most of the time. Others seem to have them get tossed off far more often for whatever reason, and so I think that's why a lot prefer the tie-on style. I don't like them as they seem to grab more vegetation (and I'm fishing near or through vegetation 95% of the time with a drop shot) and make me tie another knot, but I think mostly it's just personal preference.

The biggest point of contention I've heard from folks is for the choice between the skinny style and a round or teardrop shape. As I mentioned, skinny will come through cover better in most situations (though it can wedge up in some types of rock a little worse). The round or teardrop I think people prefer for getting added sensitivity and more control over the movement of the bait while the weight rests on the bottom; that's driven by having more mass in contact with the bottom (vs the skinny style where there's only a small amount contacting the bottom on a taut line, or it falls over on a slack line and it's tougher to move the bait without moving the weight). I suppose you could also have some differences if fishing in current where the skinny style might not be affected as much, and it may be the case that the skinny style sinks a little quicker due to less resistance. Overall the difference between different types is extremely minor in my mind.

To me, the line twist is driven far, far more by your bait than by the sinker. If your bait isn't straight, it spins and creates twist, and all else equal a fatter bait or wacky rigged bait will spin more than a skinny, nose-hooked bait. To some extent it's unavoidable which is one more reason that so many have gone to braid with a leader (the braid will eat up that line twist).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I prefer and only use the Quickdrops drop shot weights.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/West...page-WCQD.html
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

I like the skinny ones, and use 3/8 to 1/2 oz. I can often tell when I have one end of the weight picked up off the bottom. And, I usually do better with a Shakyhead/5" Zoom lizard than Dropshotting a 5" Zoom lizard, FWIW. But there are also days where the DS works better.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Member
    The Titan tungsten have the ds weights you can tie on. They have the other kind as well. I've never tried them, but they look like good stuff

I ended up getting more of the same ones I had previous. Swagger tungsten cylinders and linker city skinny lead ones. Might just try some cheaper non drop shot weights when it's really saggy rock.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    I prefer and only use the Quickdrops drop shot weights.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/West...page-WCQD.html
    Why?
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    All the tungsten ones are the same, made in one of two factories. Lead is basically lead, too with main difference being the size of the weight and the hardness of the material (which can translate to sensitivity in feeling the bottom composition).

I like the skinny ones as they come through rocks and vegetation better, and prefer the line "crimp" style. I tie an overhand knot in the end of my tag before sliding the line into the weight, and go to town. The overhand knot helps immensely with not throwing weights off when fighting fish as it provides a stop so that the line can slip through the crimp. I lose very, very few weights with this setup just buying the cheap ones from omfishingsinkers.com, and that's with 7 lb Sniper as my leader most of the time. Others seem to have them get tossed off far more often for whatever reason, and so I think that's why a lot prefer the tie-on style. I don't like them as they seem to grab more vegetation (and I'm fishing near or through vegetation 95% of the time with a drop shot) and make me tie another knot, but I think mostly it's just personal preference.

The biggest point of contention I've heard from folks is for the choice between the skinny style and a round or teardrop shape. As I mentioned, skinny will come through cover better in most situations (though it can wedge up in some types of rock a little worse). The round or teardrop I think people prefer for getting added sensitivity and more control over the movement of the bait while the weight rests on the bottom; that's driven by having more mass in contact with the bottom (vs the skinny style where there's only a small amount contacting the bottom on a taut line, or it falls over on a slack line and it's tougher to move the bait without moving the weight). I suppose you could also have some differences if fishing in current where the skinny style might not be affected as much, and it may be the case that the skinny style sinks a little quicker due to less resistance. Overall the difference between different types is extremely minor in my mind.

To me, the line twist is driven far, far more by your bait than by the sinker. If your bait isn't straight, it spins and creates twist, and all else equal a fatter bait or wacky rigged bait will spin more than a skinny, nose-hooked bait. To some extent it's unavoidable which is one more reason that so many have gone to braid with a leader (the braid will eat up that line twist).

Well, crap. Why didn't I think of tying a knot on the end of the line? DOH! I went to the 'skinny ones' as well and like the line pinching style. My 'go to' for pan fish for sure when I am 'meat hunting'.

11. Member
    OP....how are you casting the DS? I cannot even remember throwing a weight off on a cast. But I have trained myself to cast underhand (same as flipping)...and up to a pretty good distance. It has helped with control and precision casting. I like the idea of tying a knot on the end and clipping on the weight if you have that issue. I also use the long skinny weights with the clip....it does go through cover quite good.

The underhand cast has helped in river fishing and tight quarter shoulder to shoulder steel head fishing also....you get alot of other fisherman watching you and saying "damn" thats a good way to cast. it works.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

12. Member
    Check out Titan Tungsten, you can pick from either teardrop, round ball, or cylinder weights with the clip style or swivel ring line tie. They are really good quality and also have the size printed on them for easy picking. I prefer the teardrop with the swivel ring line tie. Less line twist and has the best of both worlds with the shape. Comes through grass easily and the bigger bottom transmits composition better than the cylinder will.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by dwbeck2 View Post
    Why?
    They fall straight, give me a feel of the bottom, hang ups are few and far between compared to round weights. Again the feel is much better then straight type weights.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

14. Member
    I just use bell sinkers, super cheap and you can tie them on.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Why dont you just use a bullet weight held in place with a bobber stop. Way cheaper. Those clip thingys are designed to come off the line.
    ^^^This^^^
    Or held in place with a T stop, adjustable and much cheaper.

16. Member
    I just the tie them on the crimp with a clinch knot with only a couple of loops. You can find Vike tungstens on TW for close to about 1.25 each. I only lose one or two a trip so the cost is manageable. Like others, I haven't found any difference in twist amongst the different kinds.

17. Member
    Small over hand knot in end of tag end before you slide the line into the clip. Solves a lot of problems for losing weights. They may get thrown eventually, especially smallmouth fishing but you don't lose them every fish or every small rock.

As far as line twist: If you nose hook and bring the hook all the way thru the bait (bait is in bend of the hook), you will get a lot more twist than if you barely expose or hide the hook right behind the nose. Hard to keep it in this position after a couple fish, but in general the further back into the bait you nose hook the more the lure will contribute to the twist.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

18. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Here is what I use... Water Gremlin. very cheap, swivels, and any size I want. I used to make my own D/S werights but these are cheaper than making them.

19. Member
    Somebody educate me... what’s the benefit of the “clip” type? I prefer weights with a round tie so I can just tie it on. Am I missing something?
    2023 Puma STS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Somebody educate me... what’s the benefit of the “clip” type? I prefer weights with a round tie so I can just tie it on. Am I missing something?
    So you can move the weight up or down the tag line easily. Good intentions but as you can see, that benefit is offset by how many weights you lose. Some of the earlier clips were so bad that it would just cut through your line when you were just putting the weight on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast