Bass Cat Pantera 2 Fuel Burn

I have a 2008 Pantera 2 and the HPDI let go for the third time and I believe my best option is repowering with either a new 200 SHO or Mercury PRO XS 4 stroke. Who has a Pantera 2 with any of the new 4 strokes and what is your fuel burn?
    My Pantera 2 only holds 33 GALLONS and i would like to get an idea of what my range is

Not exactly what you're looking for, but my PII with a 200 Opti I would burn about 17 gallon's MAX on a hard day running the Kissimmee Chain. Easily run 2 days on The Big O on one tank of fuel. 33 gallons is more than enough for 99% of days in a PII
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

We aren’t sure that finding an old engine with an operating power head and robbing the part is not your best answer. We have challenges investing the monies in a 2008 model that a new outboard requires. A rebuild center like HydroTech might be able to help if nothing else. They may have a head hanging on the rack and if you keep the mind thought to stock, you could just do a bolt up efficiently. If you let them talk you into flashing and pumping, just go new as now your dropping dollars again.

Resist increasing costs in any areas as it’s hard to get it back on 13 model years of age. We just are looking out for your interests as the easy thing is go new, just maybe not the most sensible.

BCB

ps: on your question, fuel burn will be very similar to the big Yamaha block in 200, and a little more (1-2 gal.)and hour than the 2.5 Ltr. Block.

4. Member
    I’m just asking what the new motors fuel range would be on a Pantera 2, 33 gallon tank.
    and bil2e a run from Clewiston to JnS canal and all the way around is 115 miles.
    And basscatboats I will never run a Yamaha hpdi EVER again. I’ve never had a motor that makes me as nervous running down the lake as this one did.Im on my 4th rebuild and it’s just not worth it. I fisH SE Costas and don’t want to be worried about my motor the entire time I’m there. I just want to jump in my kitty and go fish lol

We certainly understand it after 4 pops of the powerhead. We would have long ago told you to put 100:1 oil mix in the fuel tank. We feel that you likely popped a #2 piston on some of those, and how would we have known that?

BCB

PS: We also strongly suggest that VRO tank users of older OMC Evinrude and Johnson series of engines run 75:1 in their tanks and monitor oil always for use. There was no warning system on VRO pump failures. That 150 Intruder and Fastrike series we continue to feel is one of the best motors ever made if cared for like this, and we suggest to our close friends just DOUBLE oil.

the new ProXS 4S is similar to the 2 stroke Pro XS from what I have read.....at 70 MPH in my pantera 4 with 200 ProXS I am burning 19 GPH.....I can back down to about 40 MPH and burn around 10 GPH....I would imagine the p2 would be slightly more efficient so maybe those numbers will give you a basis. I doubt the SHO would be much more efficient than the HPDI
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    The following mercury performance link may help you with engine fuel burn.
    https://mercurymarine.widencollectiv...rformanceTests

8. Member
    While BCB gave good advice, there's one caveat. MANY of us have no intention of trying to sell our boats. Which means any sort of return or loss due to a new motor on an old boat not being so attractive when you try to recoup your money, is not so important. If I repower at some point, it will be simply because I need/want to, not because I will get any of the cost back when I sell. I am not going to sell. :) That changes the equation a bit. If I intended to sell, I would be looking for a used but running 2-stroke, that should be pretty inexpensive now. If I plan on keeping the boat, I would go with a merc Pro XS 4-stroke without even having to think about it.

As far as fuel burn goes on my 2-stroke, it seems to burn about 10 gallons per hour at 4200 RPM and somewhere just north of 50mph, which is where we cruise. About 5 MPG, which works for me. Run it wide open and it will definitely go through some fuel, but will also cover a LOT of distance. I'd guess the new 4-strokes are reasonably close to that range. BTW if you know anyone with a merc monitor, you can watch fuel consumption at different throttle/RPM settings. Most useful.

If you do the math, 5mpg x 33 gallons (my tank size also) would be 165 miles. I really don't ever run that far. I might do 25+ miles one-way. But not 50+. I am going to fish, not run up and down the river. I would personally cut it off at 100 miles, as if you run at a faster speed, MPG will drop. IE at 5800 RPM and about 20 gallons per hour, at 75 mph, you are getting just over 3.5 MPG. That reduces your range to the 100 mile area. So it depends on whether you are gordon lightfoot, or fred firewall. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200