Chartselect maps and upgrading control heads

Question: since there is a 1 year limit on downloading purchased chartselect maps, will my sd card that contains my 7 maps for my gen 1 helix 9 work with a gen 3? All purchased over a year ago, hate to eat that cost again.

Yes they will. The maps are not specific to a particular unit. Should work in any Humminbird that the card fits in.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Yes they will. The maps are not specific to a particular unit. Should work in any Humminbird that the card fits in.
    I did a little research with my units....answer so far Yes and No. My 1 card has 7 maps for my Gen 1 helix 9 (unit I encrypted the card in). You just have to select which BASE LAYER to show for which lake, it shows a list on the helix. I put that card in my 859 ci HD and it doesn't show any map. There is no BASE LAYER (or OVERLAY for that matter) menu option under charts. I believe the 859 has to have 1 map per card. So, I still don't quite know if my helix-encrypted card will display in another helix or better. There has to be a reason you have to designate your control head when purchasing/downloading.

Matt

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Yesterday I tried a ChartSelect card with 1 lake that was designated for an ONIX 10 on my new Helix 9 MEGA DI+ G3N and it would not load nor were there any menu options for it. I think it doesn't work on my 1198 or 1197 because I purchased a ChartSelect "bundle" instead of just purchasing the map like one would get if they just purchased the pre-packaged LM chip (see https://chartselect.humminbird.com/supported_products) but I was surprised my "bundle" didn't load on my new Helix. Maybe I need to do a software update on the Helix.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 10-16-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I have the Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS as the selected unit.
    When I open the Chart Select software to sign in,
    I get a pop up message stating "Does your plotter have Software Version 1.460 or later?"
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I get a pop up message stating "Does your plotter have Software Version 1.460 or later?"
    My downloads are over a year old so the 2D maps aren't available anymore but the aerials are. I didn't get a popup when I selected Helix 9 MEGA DI+ G3N but I did get one when I selected Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS. If I said No to the prompt for the Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS then the selections were grayed out. When I selected 1198, as expected the selections were grayed out. This tells me that my ChartSelect bundles should work on my Helix 9 MEGA DI+ G3N.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    When selecting my control head for download (helix 9 SI GPS), I too get the popup for version 1.460.

But my main question has nothing to do with this. It simply the fact that I purchased 7 maps (no fancy bundles) through the last couple years, all for my Helix 9 SI GPS gen 1). All maps are on one card. I use the base layer option to select which map to show. Works flawlessly. All but 1 of these maps are over 1 year old and not downloadable again....i.e. I can't 'reselect' my control head.

I want to upgrade this unit to a Gen 3 Helix 9. Since I can't redownload (and therefore encrypt the card in the Gen3 and select the Gen3 for download), will my card work in the new Helix? I emailed Humminbird support and received the following answer:

Dear Matthew,
    Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your interest in our products.

It should work with a second Helix, even a different model. Just be sure to not format or re-encrypt the card.

If you come across any issues with it, please reply back with serial information and software versions of the units.

So they think it will work, but not 100% sure. I personally don't think it will....I think the encryption file on the card from the Gen1 will not allow the Gen3 to read the card.

I guess I understand the 1 year download shutoff....and hopefully if it doesn't work HB will figure out a way to make it right.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    My downloads are over a year old so the 2D maps aren't available anymore but the aerials are. I didn't get a popup when I selected Helix 9 MEGA DI+ G3N but I did get one when I selected Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS. If I said No to the prompt for the Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS then the selections were grayed out. When I selected 1198, as expected the selections were grayed out. This tells me that my ChartSelect bundles should work on my Helix 9 MEGA DI+ G3N.....
    Maybe the encryption will work Helix-Helix, Onix-Onix, Solix-Solix, etc. Or maybe there are differences in the map file structure itself based on the control-head series. I think my neighbor has a helix, I'll hit him up see if we can try it. I'll report back.

9. Member
    I have the answer....for what its worth. My chartselect card was encrypted in my Helix 9 Gen 1, I have 7 maps on that one card. I use a menu option 'baselayer' to select which lake to show. My 859 did not have that menu option so would not take that card. It had to have 1 map per card. Anyway, I've upgraded the 859 to a Helix 7 MSI G3N, and it WILL accept the card and show the maps. SO, if you have a helix and encrypt a card, then upgrade that control unit, your card will still work.

10. Member
    We have Onix. I encrypted a card for a ChartSelect map. Really like the map. Encouraged friend to get one. Showed him how it works by using my card in his Helix g3. He liked it. So I encryped 2 more cards on my Onix and downloaded the ChartSelect map for each, for him to use on his 2 Helix g3's. I think the encryption keeps you from coyping the card - does not make it specific to a HB product.